• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Odd question, can you put eco solvent ink in a aqueous printer.

cpgraphix

I know this is an odd question, I was born and raised in the sign industry and I just recently purchased a Hp Designjet 5500 printer, (Got a hell of a deal, under $300) so i couldnt pass it up. I do all hand painted work, with some vinyl work and screen printing. Thought i could dabble in the digital printing world a bit, I know its an aqueous printer, not really designed for exterior uses, but was just curious what would happen if i put eco solvent ink in it.... I would like to break into the business of wraps and digital... Is this possible?? Or do i need to invest in a eco solvent printer???

Any info is greatly appreciated..

Biker Scout

Let's first assume that you know that solvent inks will eat the tubes/connectors and ink lines, unless you change them out. Unless it's a peristaltic pump, then it too, the internal parts will be eaten away... OK, on to the real issue, figuring that you've already sourced new hoses and what-nots.

HP has their own style of bubble jet print heads that differ from piezo-electric print heads. So as far as I know, there aren't really any ink sets out there that are mild solvent or eco solvent that can be flash vaporized through their heads, especially if there is any kind of pigment in the carrier fluid. There may be something that could work, but I've never been interested enough to even want to bother with anything HP. However, I can't rule out the use of their own latex inks. Would probably work, if you can figure out what temperature the ink needs to vaporize at, and what the temperature the media needs to be when the ink hits it.

cpgraphix

i didn't figure it was possible, just curious. I am looking into getting a good solvent printer with outdoor capabilities, figured i could use the HP for promotional type stuff, or just to mess with. Any recomendations on a good entry level printer that is suited for wraps, vehicle klettering and banners.

Biker Scout

I bought one. (1.6m/64") Has latest Epson DX7 print head. They come with a 15 month warranty, free 24/7 tech support. Approx $4k to my shipping dock, after freight, customs etc. With take-up reel and RIP. A few other members on here have one. There is a video on YouTube of one running, you can see the prints up close... has wave function for eliminating banding. The company OEMs for another well known, larger printer name, that many people know. They also sell ink for the machine, at $20 per liter. Has been reported that their ink runs just fine in a Mimaki.

[video=youtube;VIaCIZxsQYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaCIZxsQYc[/video]

guitarguy69

I wonder if that printer would be rcognized by, Wasatch or Caldera? Perhaps by telling the rip it is that "other" printer?

JgS

Eco solvent is a No for that printer but it can be converted to UV ink. HP even makes OEM UV ink for that printer. Not sure of the process to convert it but I am sure it isn't hard to find.

Biker Scout

That printer comes with eco solvent ink, it's how it's set up, plus with the Epson DX7 Print head is was made for.

The UV inks that I've got manufactured have the same durability as eco solvent, plus a 200% stretch in both directions. I have scratched and stretched, rubbed solvent/alcohol on their print sample using the inks. They hold up really well. Identical to the Roland inks we currently use. They only cure under 395nm wavelength UV light. So you have to have an LED UV Chip that outputs that directly.

Biker Scout

Yes, the printer shown above will be running LED cure UV ink sets. Cures under a very specific wavelength of UV light. Not the same as the flatbed UV cure inks that have the mercury vapor bulbs. The ink manufacture that I'm working with has specifically developed it to be Epson DX7 compatible.

(I don't use HP products, btw)

FlyingPete

Just converted a Epson...

Thought this might be of interest, I just converted a Epson Stylus Photo over to EcoSolvent, it was a bit of a mission and took a lot of mucking around to get it printing right, but it is all up and working now and apart from its slow speed its working great for the small sticker runs I use it for.

I got a CIS kit that was suitable for both EcoSolvent and inks from Aomya in China. Fitting was easy enough, just had to make sure the printer was thoroughly cleaned first from old ink, used the Aomya cleaning fluid for that.

For test media I used Orajet 3551RA. Initial tests were pretty disappointing, the printer was laying down far too much ink far too quickly and it was running and pooling in the little pores in the RapidAir vinyl and would smudge as it came out the printer. Also tried preheating the media and a hair-dryer to dry but it smudged the ink even more.

Did some more research and figured I needed to control two more things to try and reign this in, slow the printer down and control the ink density, something the standard driver does not allow.

Did some digging and managed to drag up some old RIP software, AcroRIP, although it was a dead end on my Windows 8 machine, but did run OK in a Windows XP Virtual Machine.

The RIP gave me better results, especially by lowering ink density to around 25%, but it was still pooling and not drying quickly enough. Had a chat with the local supplies shop about media and he emphasised that I need the ink to dry quicker and their machines all run heaters to ensure that, also suggested trying the non Rapid Air media.

Initial tests with the new media were not any better, the ink just pooled more randomly, hair-dryer didn't help either. Began investigating putting a small heating strip under the where the print head runs when I have another idea. :banghead:

So far I had been running everything a relatively low resolution as it was all just test prints, so I bumped up the resolution to max (5760x2880) to see what happened, brilliant move the printer slowed right down and laid the ink down differently in much smaller drops, the result only minor ink run and a much better result.

I thought what would some heat do here so grabbed my trusty hair-dryer and ran the test again, result, perfect it worked :smile:

So the set-up is now with two cheap hair-dryers that gets the print area and media up around mid 40s degC, been running every evening now for a week with no issues.

So it is possible but prepare to have to muck around a bit. Some tweaking still required, colour accuracy is a bit out and I suspect I could get away with lowering ink density a bit more and maybe lowering the resolution to speed up the printer, so far 2880x2880 is OK.

FlyingPete

IMG_5931.jpg IMG_5932.jpg
Same media printer and ink on Orajet 3551, difference print speed/resolution and heat on second print.