• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OEM vinyl stripes air egress? picture inside

ReaperHWK

Hello new member here. I have a question and I have found conflicting info on the net and thought this would be the best place to ask.

I have a 2022 Dodge Challenger that I bought the OEM stripe kit for directly from Dodge. They don't come with directions but have a template to line them up with is nice (you put the notch on the centerline of the car). Upon a search most people wet install these but some websites say they are 3M 1080 wrap material and must be dry installed. I just want to know the proper install (wet or dry). Here are the pictures below. Can you tell by the backing of the stripe if it's air egress (dry install) or just a regular wet install vinyl?

closeup2jpg.jpg

closeup1jpg.jpg

ReaperHWK

well, if you know it's 3M 1080....why not look that up?
3M clearly says that it's ControlTac, with air release channels, and that it should be applied dry.

Go ahead and try it wet, you'll probably find the answer yourself! : <b)

That's the problem I don't know if it's that, that info was from a message board by one person claiming that. Then I read almost everyone applies them wet.

I was just asking the question if anyone on this forum can tell by looking at the backing paper itself(I read that the air egrees paper looks difference, it's hatched?). I'm a newb I'm just going by google.

What would happen if this material is in fact 3M 1080 and I applied it wet, how would I find out? Would it not stick at all?

I figure I'll try the smallest(cheapest) piece wet first and see how it goes......

unclebun

If they are 3M 1080 the backing paper will be textured. You can see it and feel it. You can't install wet with textured vinyls. They won't end up adhering. The vinyl is also thicker than regular vinyl and stretchier. Durability is 7 years on vertical surfaces.

OEM graphics are regular cut vinyl. They are the same color on the adhesive side as the front (except for metallics) and the backing paper is smooth. The vinyl is thin and somewhat flexible. For graphics that wide you'll want to install wet. Durability is 10 years or more.

I really doubt the OEM graphics would be 1080 because it's not a permanent vinyl. It wouldn't last long enough for OEM durability.

ReaperHWK

If they are 3M 1080 the backing paper will be textured. You can see it and feel it. You can't install wet with textured vinyls. They won't end up adhering. The vinyl is also thicker than regular vinyl and stretchier. Durability is 7 years on vertical surfaces.

OEM graphics are regular cut vinyl. They are the same color on the adhesive side as the front (except for metallics) and the backing paper is smooth. The vinyl is thin and somewhat flexible. For graphics that wide you'll want to install wet. Durability is 10 years or more.

I really doubt the OEM graphics would be 1080 because it's not a permanent vinyl. It wouldn't last long enough for OEM durability.

Thanks. I'm 99% sure these are regular wet install vinyl, the description you gave for the regular vinyl is spot on to what I have from Dodge. For piece of mind though I ordered a very small roll of 3M 1080 from amazon and will compare it to what I have. These OEM stripes aren't cheap just want to make sure I do it correctly........

Appreciate all the responses!

ReaperHWK

So to close this out you guys were right on. I ordered 3m 1080 and they sent me 2080 saying the 1080 was being discontinued. Anyway here is the 2080 with the visible air release like posted above. Learn something new every day. The OEM stripes I have don’t have any of these channels.

IMG_1836.jpeg

madone

I just did a Scat Pack, I used Rapid Tac, no issues. You don't want get into stretching it if it goes down wrong dry.

JTW

We use digitally printed contour cut ControlTac. Lots of problems getting the transfer tape to stick to the liner. Any suggestions? Thanks!