• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Off scale message on Graphtec FC8000

Mariocesar

Try to cut vinyl 50" width x 56" long, no problems before first time cutting this big, feed the media machine reads all points but after last point start rolling back to the beginning and spits the media, and the display reads OFF SCALE, thanks in advance for your help!

Mariocesar

Worked on Ilustrator add the cut layer like I always do, use onyx to print on HP latex 365, and then cut on the Graphtec and this thing is happening, I always do the same thing and the cutter works fine, this is the first time I'm cutting 50" x 56" long, thx!

Lea Marc

Is the media straight on the machine? You can use the white notches on the plotter to help you align a vertical straight edge, or if you have printed crop marks you can align them by eye to a horizontal straight edge on the front of the machine. I've been able to register and plot up to 10' in the past but had to fight with the machine. The longer your piece is the more important it is that it is straight, I find the plotter has a tolerance of around 1/8" movement. Other things you could do is brush your metal grip rollers with a wire brush and clean the pinch rollers with alcohol, also clean the sensors with diluted dish detergent. Hope that helps.

Lea Marc

Hmm, unless you get any other suggestions here I would call Graphtec support. They're pretty helpful.

Joe House

What option are you loading it with? Roll 1, Roll 2 or sheet?
How far from the pinch wheels are the reg marks? How far from the back edge of the vinyl?

Mariocesar

Hi Joe, load with roll 1, reg marks are 1.5" from pinch wheels, and is like 8" from the back, originally was a 50" x 110" and did not work, then I made it 50" x 56" and still don't work what is strange is that small length works, what I end doing was make 3 panels 50" x 40.5" and worked great, thanks God art was text on most of the print, thanks for your help but still need some more research on why don't cut big prints.

Joe House

Look at what the page length is set to in the media menu. It may just be set too short. Also, I've had better luck loading print cut sheets as sheets. It sounds like your margins are fine.

Good luck.

Tattoosleeve

As Joe just said, you definitely need to load it as a "SHEET" and not a roll. I was told this by a repair tech and this is how we load all our prints. I've run lengths up to 20' with simple cuts in this manner (Although I don't recommend it). It's critical to make sure the alignment it is as dead on as possible. Line up your marks at the center of the print to minimize travel from front to back. Sometimes the machine will randomly get real picky for no reason. There have been times where I've repeated the same process 20+ times and finally it just decides it likes it and will cut the job even though you didn't change anything about the loading. There have also been times where I just reprinted the job and sent the new one and it goes first try.

Mariocesar

Yes I tried to load as a sheets same thing happen, page length is ok, and you are right this machine is really estrange I just finished cutting a 50 " x 20" and I had to load it 5 times to get it cut, Grimco technician was helping me but with no luck, that job went out already as I told you before I made 3 panels, but I need to be prepare for the future, I tried everything in my hands and with the technician but nothing happened at one point he mentioned the file can be corrupted then I printed a new one and the same thing happen, thanks for your help.

Tattoosleeve

I should clarify we run into this problem only on occasion. Most of the time it works as it's supposed to. The other thing you could try is by dimming or turning lights off by the machine. Sometimes glare on the surface of the laminate can change how the eye reads the marks. If we're really having trouble we will cut out and remove the laminate above the regi marks so there is nothing between the mark and the eye......Also. if it's reflective that could be part of the problem too. We've had the best results with 3m reflective. Other brands we've tried refract the light in a way that makes it impossible for the eye to read.

Mariocesar

I still have the vinyl just tried dimming the lights and still the same "OFF SCALE" machine reads all marks and after reading the last one goes back then rewind all the way, and a box with a message " Mark scan error,Not enough length on x direction, same as before. thx.

Jburns

I think you dont have enough room either from your pinch rollers or media sensors. You stated above: "reg marks are 1.5" from pinch wheels" You may need more room than that.

And the plotter is telling you "Not enough length on X Direction" - sounds like a sensor is being uncovered on the front or back. -- your sheet of vinyl is cut too short next to the crop marks.
My graphtec needed like 4- 6 inches OUTside of the marks.

Mariocesar

I tried everything 1.5" , 2", 2.5", etc from pinch wheels, and on the front of vinyl I have 6" free space and on the back 7" out of the marks, my concern is why after reading the last mark that this thing is happening, that means feeding is fine, pinch rollers are ok if something wrong with this steps machine don't let you to continue, I can cut with no problems to 45" of length, I believe solution will be in the settings part but dont know where, thx for your help.

Mariocesar

I will try first thing tomorrow morning, but let me ask you something if I turn pinch roller detention setting, how machine will read the width

Bill DiStasio

I just wanted to throw this in. I experience the same problem with with 30 FEET. I followed the direction and tried the things listed on this thread. I started by running as a sheet first. I ran it one time and it worked like a charm. So I wanted to say thanks to all you a smart people. It saved me a bunch of money and gave me a headached by the time it work.