• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh Brother, My Brother Printer

JamesLam

OK, first world problem here. The fuser on my Brother all-in-one is on the fritz and apparently the replacement part is not available anywhere. So I reached out to Brother and asked where I can get one so it can be repaired. Their reply was "We do not sell fusers as it is very dangerous for the customer to replace it by themselves." To which they added that I should consult a repair centre, but they won't sell the part to them either. I'm assuming the replies are somewhat scripted so I'm unlikely to get anywhere with this. But can anyone explain to me why fusers are such a dangerous item that Brother fears for the health and safety of the masses?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The fuser can reach 200 degrees so maybe they think you'll burn yourself? At the end of the day, manufactures have declared war on right to repair. They love to use the excuse, "The dumb end user might hurt themselves" to justify it.

gnubler

Office_Space_Printer_Case_Of_The_Mondays_Gary_Vaynerchuk_The_Basis_Point_.png

JamesLam

They are cheap just buy a new printer
Sure, but it just needs a part, an easily replaceable part. This isn't a case where they came up with something better that made this equipment redundant, they are just driving obsolescence. I'll give it a few weeks and if I can't find the part elsewhere I'll probably buy a new printer. But Brother certainly won't be awarded for their efforts.