• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oil polyurethane

midnightmadman

Has anyone put an oil poly over cut vinyl. I’m something that is a stained wood and will need oil poly over it but will have some cut vinyl decals. I’d like to keep them under the clear. Has there ever been any long term problems doing this? Does cast vs calendared make a difference?
I could possibly use a water based poly but would need to allow the oil stain to dry much longer

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Clear before you put the vinyl on. If you clear over top cast, you'll need 10 to 15 coats to do it right. Calendared is just a bad idea, altogether.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually, if ya wanna hide the height, you'll be doing a lot more coats. You wanna try to keep any vinyl movement from taking place as the two will expand and contract at a very different rate, thus causing cracking and looking like crapolla. Calendared is just not used for this process.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Vinyl continues to shrink inside as well as outside, just not at the same rate. All ya need to do is prep and treat your wood however you want, then apply your vinyl on the finished piece and presto, you're done. No final clear needed..... especially for interior work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, you're screwed. Why did you originally say...... you'd like to keep them under the clear, but now ya change horses in the middle of the stream, back-pedal and change the parameters ?? This is why nobody wants to help anyone aanymore.

midnightmadman

The look I need to achieve is to have a coating of clear over it with some depth
Would I have better long term effects using a water based clear ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean. I have said from the beginning and last post the vinyl must be under the clear.
Check out your opening post. It states you would like to keep it under and then later you say it hasta stay under the clear. Either way, do what ya want. Noone can help someone like you. If this is being mean, so be it. I'm growing tired of people giving partial information, we drag it outta them and there are no reasonable explanations on your end, let alone anything that makes sense. Then, you switch to water-based clears. You don't seem to care what takes place, just so long as you get an effect. That's stupid. Good luck midnight.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The look I need to achieve is to have a coating of clear over it with some depth
Would I have better long term effects using a water based clear ?
It's not going to give it depth. It's gonna look like something you bought at the flea market. To get graphics buried like I think you want, you need to build a damn and pour in clear surfboard resin. Polyurethane has an amber hue to it and the more you put on, the darker it's gonna get. Water, oil, solvent based doesn't matter, the vinyl can take it.
It would be helpful if you explained the effect you were looking for.
Also, like Gino said, it's gonna be raised where the letters are. From my experience though, that raised area will remain no matter how many coats you put on unless you put a bunch on, sand it flat and then put more on. We have bolts we thread into parts to hang to paint and they will get 1/4" buildup of epoxy on them and that epoxy carries out the threaded profile, it never levels out.