• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay, another new guy here...

ScottyDoo

Okay, here we go...

ScottyDoo here, as my friends call me. I've been in the computer industry for about 12 years now, which is alot for only being 26. I've mainly worked for software companies doing various things, such as managing a department in charge of all production for our internet/intranet based product. We did all of the design and coding for the product as well as the audio/video editing and compression for the streaming portion of the product.

I've always been fascinated with computers and design, and was always the one making stupid little flyers and whatnot for family/church/neighborhood events. Fascination only grew stronger and finally decided to drop the IT portion of what I was doing and go design full time. I've always done freelance (mainly web) on the side, but got hired at a local sign shop in town.

The design is great, but I've found that I don't care for the retail aspect of the work and the pace is different than I'm used to. I'm used to having my own office and working on a project for 3 months and then releasing it, not having 30 jobs every day, taking phone calls, sending proofs, etc, etc, etc. Naturally I fell back to my comfort zone and found my niche with the company and whattya know I'm back to where I started. I still do my own design on the side, but with my current employer I am the IT Manager as well as the print operator for our DisplayMaker 72s Solvent printer. It's been really nice as I can focus on a few things and really get them running great.

Anyways...I'm rambling here. I have an WIDE span of knowledge and experience. So I'll propbably chime in on many topics. Feel free to contact me privately for anything you like. Thanks!

PS: The name in my signature is my side company, not my full time sign job.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hey, I know you from another forum......

Welcome to Signs 101 ScottyDoo....

Rick

I am the same......don't tell anyone, I don't do any of the antics I do on that other board, but since I have been there for over 6 years, I have more room to be me over there.... :)

hey, David Snider is here too,

K

Kevin Newby

ScottyDoo said:
Okay, here we go...
I have an WIDE span of knowledge and experience. So I'll probably chime in on many topics. Feel free to contact me privately for anything you like. Thanks!

at 26 its impossible to have a wide knowledge of anything...:rolleyes:

...when my son was 18 he knew everything, and couldnt believe how
little I knew...when he turned 23 he couldnt believe how much I had
learned in 5 years! :wink:

but welcome to the learning curve!

ScottyDoo

Kevin Newby said:
at 26 its impossible to have a wide knowledge of anything...:rolleyes:

...when my son was 18 he knew everything, and couldnt believe how
little I knew...when he turned 23 he couldnt believe how much I had
learned in 5 years! :wink:

but welcome to the learning curve!
Hey now...I meant for my age, and specifically with computers. I should edit and specify that, heh. I'm far from knowing everything, and never thought that I have...and luckily there's always PLENTY for me to learn. It's nice to meet you.

PS: Would love to meet your son, he seems to know alot =)

Scott Reynolds

ScottyDoo, sorry to see your gave your age. Its sad, but there are 2 or 3 guys on this board that are going to exploit that fact by name calling just because you might be a little younger than some here. But!, If you run a 72s your not that dumb! Good luck and keep your head down! :)

PS, I would like to drop in and see the Gator running, I have 60K burning a hole in my pocket.... ScottyD

Rick

For some reason the sign business does get stuck on age and how long they have been doing it. It doesn't matter how long or how old you get, there is always someone there to push the urine stream farther. In my few years in the business, I have seen youngin's run circles around old goats. I have also seen old masters who still take in information like they were newbies. The sign business is so splintered into specialities that there are a few young sign people who actually know what they are doing, especially in the production end of newer technologies and in design. Reading your previous posts, you are an eager listener and a knowledgable sign person that goes beyond basic vinyl signage. If only there were a few more mid 20's sign people like that, most get into this in thier 30's and 40's and after a couple of years of self taught experimenting "know it all". I heard it so many times on sign boards (and design boards) it gets to be funny when they spout off and all the while you are holding the secret of your experience....that expereince belongs to you, I am hoping you can share it with us as time goes on.

ScottyDoo

Rick said:
For some reason the sign business does get stuck on age and how long they have been doing it. It doesn't matter how long or how old you get, there is always someone there to push the urine stream farther. In my few years in the business, I have seen youngin's run circles around old goats. I have also seen old masters who still take in information like they were newbies. The sign business is so splintered into specialities that there are a few young sign people who actually know what they are doing, especially in the production end of newer technologies and in design. Reading your previous posts, you are an eager listener and a knowledgable sign person that goes beyond basic vinyl signage. If only there were a few more mid 20's sign people like that, most get into this in thier 30's and 40's and after a couple of years of self taught experimenting "know it all". I heard it so many times on sign boards (and design boards) it gets to be funny when they spout off and all the while you are holding the secret of your experience....that expereince belongs to you, I am hoping you can share it with us as time goes on.

Thank you Rick for your kind words...

By no means do I think I know everything there is...especially in the sign industry. I've only been a part of the sign world for a little over 1.5 years. I do have to admit that one of my best skills is absorbing new information and technology and mastering it in my own way. I am often told that I seem to have been doing what I do for years and years, when infact I'm rather green really. I don't say that to toot my own horn, but it's what has allowed me to learn and gain such great experience in such a short amount of time.

I've been blessed with a mind that learns quickly and easily...for that I am forever thankful!

I look forward to being an active member of this community. I have a lot of questions about the sign industry, and already have answered many questions just by reading various posts.

Man, that's a little long for almost 3am. I have to be to work in 4 hours.

Cadmn

Welcome to:signs101: from here in Texas before stroke I was computer tech & worked with kid 16 that was super sharp in tech & thts great as kevin stated tho my son now 25 has finally realised dad 45almost 46 actually might know sumpin. the other night the DA fell off of a fiberglass Bull sitting in a park motionless & it busted his face pretty good & I rolled in the floor at how inmature he was knowledge is good but you can't teach common sense.:wine-smi:

Ken

Hi ScottyDoo. Welcome to the boards.
Here's one for ya...
I want to network my shop computer with my home computer. These are two separate buildings about 60 feet apart. I Have a 2.4 gig cordless phone set-up between the buildings and have a hard time to get a good connection between these phones. I have to stand in one exact spot in my shop to be able to talk thru the base station in the house. What chance do I have to set up a wireless network between these computers? The house is made of log construction..would that make a difference?
Thanks for considering this.
Ken Beyer
Signs That work !
Eagle Bay, BC