• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Oki Printer Vs Roland Truevis

K2

OK, so let me start by stating my budget is $20,000. I am a small shop that does its fair share of printing but nothing like some of you large production company. I currently run a Roland SP 540v and although she is old she is still kicking getting the job done, just very slowly. So speed is'nt a huge factor because anything will be fast compared to what i'm used to. I want a reliable work horse.

So I went to the NBM show this week to look at a particular printer I have been studying for awhile now and of course I liked it in person. That printer is a Roland Truevis VG-540 and show price about $19,000. After checking it out I walked around and I came across another printer and it was an Oki Color Paint E-64s. The print was great looking (but arent they all at the show). Even better was the price of $12,500. With this price I could get a separate plotter also and stay on budget. The Oki comes with Onyx so no software buy needed. I will be getting an extra 10" of print and plot capabilities and more versatlity in my business. With all that being said my question is, has anyone had any experience with the Oki? What are you opinions on it? Pros & cons? Or do I put this out of my head and stick with what I know and that is Roland. Thanks for any help.

danno

I can speak for the M-64. The ink set is great. Lots of bite. Very pleased with the little bit of support that I have needed.

K2

Where did you buy it at Danno? I would be getting mine from Reece Supply, I havent had much dealing with them so I was just curious. With it being a fairly new printer I def want to know the customer service is going to be there.

Joe House

Oki bought the Seiko line of Color Painters. They're generally pretty good printers, but I have no experience with the E-64s. Just check to make sure where your service comes from. You'll probably find a lot more Roland dealers and Roland printers out there. So your resources will be much broader.
Also, the VersaWorks Dual is almost identical to the original as far as operations are concerned, so there will be very little in the way of a learning curve.

And you're right, most anything sold today will be a step up from what you have. Happy hunting...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Wow, at $12,500 that is a pretty great deal! The machine is a great machine but has always been overpriced in my opinion, the fact that it has been kicked around to 3 different companies is a little concerning though. It used to be the Seiko 64 S, then it was an HP-9000, now its an Oki 64

K2

Wow, at $12,500 that is a pretty great deal! The machine is a great machine but has always been overpriced in my opinion, the fact that it has been kicked around to 3 different companies is a little concerning though. It used to be the Seiko 64 S, then it was an HP-9000, now its an Oki 64

That is one of the concerns I have. if it wasnt for the price point of the printer and a separate plotter (ideal setup) then I would def just stick to what I know and that is Roland. But the TrueVis is also newer technology. I have had an Oki desktop printer and that thing was great but that's not quite comparable to this printer.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You could also get into a brand new Latex 335 64" machine for just under $12k, you would be able to do more applications with Latex in my opinion. You would not have to worry about running it everyday either.

K2

You could also get into a brand new Latex 335 64" machine for just under $12k, you would be able to do more applications with Latex in my opinion. You would not have to worry about running it everyday either.

Wow that is a great price on the Mimakis.

To be honest I am scared to death of the latex. I've heard so many different reviews on them that I don't know which way to lean.

DunbarPG

TruVis definitely still has it's bugs. I lost a print head less than 6 months in. Roland has been great though. I upgraded from the SP540V to the VG540 and it absolutely blew me away at first. Then, I had all kinds of problems....but that all seemed to stem from the faulty head. After warranty replacement, I have no complaints with the machine. Quality and Speed are far superior to the SP540V.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes the prices are pretty good on those mimaki's, you should not be afraid of Latex, it is a very user friendly machine. I would really recommend looking at a 335 by HP to be honest.

danno

Where did you buy it at Danno? I would be getting mine from Reece Supply, I havent had much dealing with them so I was just curious. With it being a fairly new printer I def want to know the customer service is going to be there.

We purchased our M-series through Tubelite, September 2015.