• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Artpath wont open vector files ai eps dxf?

5041shelby

hi
i have a very old d200 router i just bought used
i have a very old arthpath version

omega 2.0

artpath is suppose to be able to open eps ai and dxf files

however it does not open these files..screen is blank when i open these files

can you explain why?

i created vector files using AI inkscape vector magic and vectric
aspire and all come up blank in artpath

i have spent 3 days on this issue and have gotten nowhere

its very frustrating and hoping someone can help me

thank you

5041shelby

not familair with versions but i have tried creating eps ai and dxf using new software and old software and none open in artpath

Last edited:

Jburns

I think you are going to need AI6 or 5 to create the file, and also you are "importing" not opening right?

5041shelby

i only have ai cs2 which is very old program it says 2003 year ...artpath does not have import.it has open and place...both do not work.....ive been experimenting with all vectorizing softwares i have..the only one i can vectorize and open in artpath is if i use the cruddy program wintopo which sucks at vectorizing...when i open this file in artpath it actually opens but has numbers everywhere and boxes and the image is behind....so it really doesnt work but at least something shows up

im looking for someone who specifically has experience with older artpath software..thanks

Last edited:

5041shelby

from playing around with file formats and etc..i may have found a workable workaround..if i open a freshly inkscape created eps file in composer it seems to open fine and i then resave it as GSP DXF and then open it in artpath and it seems to open fine but i can only choose gsp dxf..no other formats will open in artpath using this technique...

Jburns

ok - i have artpath 6.5 - along with omega 6.5 - but I never use it b/c I dont have a router.
if you want to PM me to test a file - I may be able to downsave the AI or eps file to omega 2.0 - at least test.

Jburns

if you click my name, you can start a conversation privately - and either you or I can send personal email in the message

GB2

Old Member
I really don't know why you are trying to work with DXF files. I am not a DXF expert but I find it very difficult to get consistent results from DXF files. It seems that it is not a very universal file type and every software has it's own proprietary way that it interprets DXF files or else you must save the DXF files in a certain way so that other software can work with it.

For your purposes, you would be best to work with .AI files or .EPS files that you open in Omega Composer and then save as Gerber .PLT files, which then will work flawlessly in ArtPath. This is the typical workflow when using a Gerber Dimension 200.

5041shelby

hi GB2

im not necessarily trying to work with dxf files..typically in all my other softwares i work with eps and svg

the issue with my old old 2003 artpath version is that it wont open any vector files at all (created with newer software) so im trying to find a workaround which i did find one ...from playing around with file formats and etc..i may have found a workable workaround..if i open a freshly inkscape created eps file in composer it seems to open fine and i then resave it as GSP DXF and then open it in artpath and it seems to open fine but i can only choose gsp dxf..no other formats will open in artpath using this technique..

and fyi if i open an eps in composer and then resave it as gerber plt it will not open in artpath (comes up blank)

signage

The DFX extension stands for Drawing exchange format, it was created to be able to open files from one program to another, it was never the perfect at it.

Adam.Foster

hi GB2

im not necessarily trying to work with dxf files..typically in all my other softwares i work with eps and svg

the issue with my old old 2003 artpath version is that it wont open any vector files at all (created with newer software) so im trying to find a workaround which i did find one ...from playing around with file formats and etc..i may have found a workable workaround..if i open a freshly inkscape created eps file in composer it seems to open fine and i then resave it as GSP DXF and then open it in artpath and it seems to open fine but i can only choose gsp dxf..no other formats will open in artpath using this technique..

and fyi if i open an eps in composer and then resave it as Gerber plt it will not open in artpath (comes up blank)
Check what color the lines are in composer. If the lines are Red they won't show up in Artpath, as artpath only recognizes cut shapes not print shapes. In composer you have 3 line types, Red= print only, black = cut only, Green = print and cut. You will need to assign a cut to any objects that are red so they become green lines. Or remove the color fill so they become black lines. Then save the file as a PLT and artpath will open the file and show the vector lines that are assigned a cut atribute.
Feel free to upload the file your working with and the plt file you get when you import and I can help further.

5041shelby

Thanks for replying unfortunately
I hsve no idea what you are talking about
Im referring to any common vector file created with any vector software......not files created in composer.

Artpath is suppose to open dxf and eps files but my old version doesnt...apparently its outdated and can not recognize modern vector files.

As i said i found a workaround

Thank you

lubo-is

Hi shelby,

i like to say few words about your problem. I use many years vector file format AI 3.0 as vector file among COREL - GA- OMEGA - SIGNLAB.
Actually i create design in Corel 2020 / to customers i send pdf, or jpg/ but for intranet i export vector cdr files into AI 3.0. / and young Corel 2020 with 25 years old Artpath communicate very fine./.
note...
From Omega to Artpath can be problem to send any AI format, although both programs are developed by Gerber. IF lines in graphic in my Omega are not defined as CUT LINES into my ArtPath i import nothing. / so i have all lines to define as cut lines/

L