• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Camm1 Plotter problems

5acrefarmer

Hi

I am still using my Camm1 which I bought new in 1989 (!) I've rarely been self-employeed so it's had an easy life, even looks close to new. Now that I am semi-retired and poor at the moment I am hesitant to buy a new plotter, maybe later in the year.

Wondering if anyone remembers having either of the two minor problems I am having with mine. I'd rather get some advice here before tampering with it and there's nowhere to get it looked at where I live.

> On rare occassions it just stops and a thump on the top of it gets it going again, luckily it continues cutting from the same point.

> Often it does not 'engage' when the lever is pushed down. Sometimes the head holding the blade does not move at all and sometimes it just moves out and back in a little. I have to raise and lower the lever until it engages.

I would think the solutions may be very simple but would rather ask here first.

Thanks, Ian

WR_Orion

Hi

I am still using my Camm1 which I bought new in 1989 (!)

> Often it does not 'engage' when the lever is pushed down. Sometimes the head holding the blade does not move at all and sometimes it just moves out and back in a little. I have to raise and lower the lever until it engages.

I've got one too that I still use, what a workhorse!

Anyway, your second problem sounds like something that happened to mine also. All I did was replace the switch that the lever contacts and it's been working fine for probably 8 or 9 years since then. See if "wiggling" the lever engages it. If so, it's either the switch or a contact to the switch. Got my switch at Radio Shack, you might want to check for a better one though at someplace like Digi-Key (digikey.com)

Good luck

THATgirl

I have had my Roland PNC 1000 since 1989 also. A couple times the handle got loose, which caused the same situation you are having, so I had a friend take off the top cover and tighten a couple screws. They are great machines!

weaselboogie

> On rare occassions it just stops and a thump on the top of it gets it going again, luckily it continues cutting from the same point.

"" This is how we fix problem in the Russian space station! ""

Attachments

• lev.jpg
    lev.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 92

5acrefarmer

thumper

Thanks one and all. That is what I suspected but just not sure. I'll look into it. Maybe swearing at it in Russian would be effective! (But how could I swear at such an ol' friend?)