• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Edge any good?

JAMEY

I know somebody who has one of these old original Edge printers.

How much is it worth?

Does it compare to an Edge 2?

Attachments

• 3ka3ma3p.jpg
    3ka3ma3p.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:

Checkers

Hiya Jamey,

IMHO, if it works it's a good printer. However, from what I understand, Gerber doesn't support them any more. So, when it finally craps out, it's done.

The Edge II prints at a higher resolution 300x600 dpi versus the straight 300 dpi of the older model. Other than that, I believe they are the same - same materials, foils etc. You still can get support for the II too.

A couple more things, you need Gerber or other "sign" software to run it and a 15" sprocket fed plotter because trying to register the graphics on anything else would be nearly impossible.

Checkers

M

MANNING

I have an EdgeII that is having a few small issues. Instead of fixin it I'm moving to a versacamm540. The foils are expensive and you have to stock every color that you want to use. I like the idea of having 4 cartriges... less money and headache.

hope this helps

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The typical market for the Trunion model is between $1500 and $3000. What Checkers said though is correct and you are rolling the dice as to getting enough work produced to cover your investment and be ahead of the game. The chances are that you will because they are very durable machines ... but whenever something in it finally does fail, it will be worthless because no one will fix it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have an EdgeII that is having a few small issues. Instead of fixin it I'm moving to a versacamm540. The foils are expensive and you have to stock every color that you want to use. I like the idea of having 4 cartriges... less money and headache.

hope this helps

We have a 1998 Edge LE that still pumps out better than $60K a year in thermal printing. Most of that cannot be done on a printer that will not handle a spot white basecoat on clear vinyl such as your Versacamm. Then there's the issue of repeatability for all the jobs we have archived. We long ago changed our foils over to Duracoat which are about half the price of Gerber's foils and perform as well or better and afford us with a very competitive cost structure. In addition, the Edge provides an odor free, efficient work flow with no need for drying, outgassing wait times or lamination.

Tel

Have one of these plus a newer edge, we have a line in the head with this one but know where it is and pump out stickers all day with it, in fact it's the newer one that is giving us a little trouble.