• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old man from suffield ohio

Dennis G

Hello, Im from Suffield Ohio, the true home of the Goodyear Blimp, Its not Akron as many think. I have been a HVAC contractor for the last 20 years and because of Ohio's new licensing laws they grandfathered every idiot in the state that lit a pilot light to practice the hvac trade so I got out. I currently build custom caskets and do custom woodworking. Im trying the sign trade to supplement my retirement income and to dress up some of the boats that I build for people. I was buying the graphics from a local sign shop and they were getting kinda pricey, and now i know why, so i bought my own equipment. Don't think I'll be any threat to the trade , but I never do anything less than perfect, (my father taught me that). This is a great site and picked up a lot of tips cept for one. Where do i get the pvc signboard?

I've gone to find myself, If I should return before I get back, keep me here.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well Hi Dennis. Actually I was just about to launch my new product line of heated and air conditioned wood caskets with special personalized monogramming .... so I do consider you a threat.:Big Laugh

Seriously welcome to the boards.

PVC foam board is available from most sign supply houses as well as plastic sheet distributors. It comes under a number of brand names including Sintra, Komatex and Excel.

Dennis G

strange you should say that, i used to advertise my caskets in the real estate section, as "The last home you 'll ever buy, spacious 14 sq ft with geo thermal heating and cooling" floor to ceiling , wall to wall fabric.

nodrenim

Hi Dennis, Welcome aboard, if you ever want to put a neon sign in one of those caskets let me know. Hope you like it here.

jimdes

MAN, that's cool, you'll be able to paint some nice graphics on those caskets now! I'll take pearl white with oyster flames! Maybe a metallic Maltese Cross.

Welcome!

SignRover

I don't know where to get PVC in Ohio, but guys, the Goodyear blimp is anchored down every night at a field 3 blocks from my shop in the Los Angeles area. It flies over Disneyland almost every day. I thought LA was the true home of the blimp!

As for the custom lettered air conditioned neon casket boats, that's obviously an LA original too.

Dennis G

Lets see, when they christened the new blimp where was it when they had all three flying at the same time? Oh I remember, that was here. I remember cause I walked out on my front porch and watched as they circled over my yard. That LA blimp was here originally but got caught in a wind storm and ended up there, so they just left it. Tha blimp was my first job. I made the Goodyear graphics for it. When I put the ladder against it it would move and the ladder would fall so I had to reset the ladder.After 10 times of that I finally let the air out of it and laid it out flat on the ground then put the Goodyear on it, and blew it back up. Was winded for weeks.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
dog42.gif
Score one for Dennis G.