• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old MG font ID please

signmeup

This is the VIN plate off my 1958 MGA. I need a new one for the restoration and the ones available don't have the etched lettering. I'm going to make my own with photo resist masks and acid but I need a to make a file to work from first. I found Fustian was close enough to the non serif font that I can modify it... but I can't find anything close enough to the serif font used for "M.G." etc. Anyone have any leads?

Adrian

Attachments

• MGA VIN Plate.jpg
    MGA VIN Plate.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 80

striper14

it looks familiar but the piccys arent good enough to run through my font software. Post a picture of just the text u want matched

cheers

signmeup

Whoops! I forgot to click "selected only" when I made that jpeg.

Thanks for looking striper. I found a free font (on Dafont) named Whitin that was close enough to modify for the MG Company part. The "S's" from Fustian aren't quite right for the rest of the text so I just need to fix that and I'm good to go.

Now I just have to wait for the photoresist to show up and learn how to etch...

Adrian

Attachments

• MGA VIN  plate 2.jpg
    MGA VIN plate 2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 48

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I think I remember this plate! When I was a kid, my dad had a '61 1600 MkII. Robin Egg blue at one time, then white. Then sold to guy in England who restored it, painted red and converted it to right hand steering. My grandfather also had a blue '62.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Such a cool car. I wish my Dad had hung to his....it would be mine now.