• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Seal Image 600 C vs New Seal 54 EL?

player

I have an old Seal 600 C I bought used a couple of years ago but I made a mistake because the rollers are damaged. I can get the rollers redone for about $3K Canadian for the correct silicone, or around $2200 for a synthetic material. I paid $3000 for the Seal 600 C. The unit is a little beat, but it does have the cool air controlled roller up/down and pressure. It also has the rear take-up winder. It is missing the back shelf, but I could install one if the unit had fresh rollers. I am still using my cheapy China laminator the 600 C was supposed to replace but it is tracking horribly as the top roller is partially de-laminated from the steel roller and there is a hump in it. It still works but on 5' + it is not reliable.

Today I bought a Seal 54 EL from an institution that is brand new. It is a few years old, but they bought it and never used it. It is mint. A little dusty but in perfect condition. It is a nice unit, but not nearly the machine the 600 C is. The main difference is the roller diameter. The 600 C has big 6" rollers, while the rollers on the 54 EL are only 3" in diameter. The 600 C is a 65" unit while the 54 is 55" for maximum of 54" material. The length is not an issue, as I only print 54". The extra room on the 600 C is nice, but the shorter length of the 54 EL is also nice as it takes up less space and is smaller to reach around when loading it.

Does the difference between the 6" vs 3" roller size make a difference? I have read the larger the diameter the better.
I have read here some have had problems with the 54 EL tracking properly.
Should I keep the Image 600 C until I get enough cash to refurbish the rollers?
Should I sell the 600 C and be done with it and use the 54 EL?
Should I sell the 54 EL for a profit and get the 600 C refurbished?

I really don't have a lot of space, so keeping them both is an issue.
I am not doing huge volume, but when I do jobs I can print a good amount, so it is important to have
a reliable unit that will get the job done.

Anyone have some advice or insights into these two laminators?

Thank you