• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old software

jayhawksigns

With the new version of Flexi coming out I was going to try and look at the numbers of how much we have spent over the years in new versions and look at the cost of purchasing outright like we have vs "cough" going the subscription route "cough".

That isn't the actual topic for this thread though, what is was my visit back to our old software shelf and thinking about the changes in software and suppliers we have used over the years. Starting with floppy disks (like 6 or something) and parallel port security dongles (really sucked when you had multiple pieces of software with them) to completely digital delivery and a USB dongle. You can also see when we jumped up to two design stations, and our limited foray with Onyx.

For a couple memory tidbit. There was a point in time, when after you modified text (outlines or distortions or something) that you could not change the text without doing the modification again, it literally converted the text to outlines before it applied the modification. Remember when they touted non-destructive text modification as a new feature. A lot of history on that shelf, now I need to see if I can fire any of them back up again, namely the ones that don't have Amiable in the company name.

And for that little sliver between Flexi 10 and Onyx 5, we had purchased a Colorspan DisplayMaker printer and were told that AccuPrint would run it (the little sliver was its manual) and how we went around and around with Scanvec and never got it working. Our supplier at the time, Buddy Adel with 123 Graphics was also going to bat for us and we somehow got a good deal on the Onyx 5 that would actually run the printer. We kept using Buddy up until he wasn't a salesman at the company he sold 123 Graphics too anymore a few years back.

SoftwareShelf.jpg