• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega Newbie Is in Trouble

AZPAPACHUCK

I have been cutting vinyl since 1985 with a Gerber Signmaker IVB and about 5 months ago my Signmaker broke down and I purchased a brand new P2s Plotter with Omega 2.6.1 software. At the same time the new plotter arrived, I found the parts to fix the signmaker and had some other things come up to prevent me from even opening the cartons. Now, Gerber won't answer any questions unless I pay for the service. I'm learning the software and only wish to cut single color vinyl right now. The problem is importing images and files. How do I import a file that cuts smoothly without the ragged pixel cuts? I can't seem to find any information that tells me exactly how I am doing it wrong. Please help if you can... I'll even look for email help if possible... signsetc@qwestoffice.net or sbtrader@qwestoffice.net

Thanks.... AZPAPACHUCK ... I'm trying to NOT be too old to learn some new tricks....
<!-- / message -->

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like you're not importing vector files. If you're hoping to import bitmaps such as TIF or JPG files and have them magically convert to clean, vinyl-cut ready vectors, that rarely happens. If your import files are vector files then I would make an educated guess that they aren't clean cut-ready vectors either.

Here's a link to my sample download page. They are various files our digital art clients might use. Only the files in the right column are vinyl-cut ready files. Try them out and see how they work. Also reply back with some additional information as to what kid of files you've been trying to import.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hmmmmm ... somehow the PLT extensions got changed to upper case while the link is set to lowercase. I have corrected the file names and you should be able to download the samples now.

Thanks for letting me know.

AZPAPACHUCK

Thanks Fred, I have a lot to learn since I have NOT been doing any of this with a computer program. Upgrading is not the easiest thing that I've ever done. I'll try to find informatino on vector graphics and try to determine how I can take a jpg or tiff file and convert it to a vector file so I can continue my education. I will take advantage of your offer to check out the files as soon as I get to the shop.

Thanks

Chuck DeLeal
signsetc@qwestoffice.net

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
pat, the horse opened up just fine in omega for me.....try a different import filter?

azpapa, ditto to fred...have you tried just typing in text and cutting? do you still get the same jaggedness?? or is it only in the imported files?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'll try to find informatino on vector graphics and try to determine how I can take a jpg or tiff file and convert it to a vector file so I can continue my education.

there are some auto trace programs out there that you can use...at least to get your started....i've found that an auto trace mixed with editing the nodes works the best

i use inkscape for auto trace cause it's just unbelievable the results you get...

http://www.inkscape.org/

AZPAPACHUCK

Fred;

So far, I've attempted to import jpg and tiff files into the composer. I guess I'll need to find more Gerber Library files than what came with the Omega Software. It seems that I tend to do more western and equine as well as animal work and most of what came with the software is anything else except that. Is there anywhere out there in neverland that one can pick up libraries that are affordable or reasonably so? I'm trying to expand my vinyl cutting into a full fledged business instead of working strictly doing text signs (street signs and lot signs). The Signmaker was great for that sort of work, but this is really different. It's exciting and I'm ready to learn, but haven't found any clear cut instructions. The Omega program came with a huge lesson manual and it is almost entirely dedicated to layering and printing with very little included on strictly cutting vinyl. Right now, I don't have a printer. Maybe I'll be wanting to add that down the road, but I need to learn to deal with what I have right now first.

Thanks Again and anybody else that might have pointers... It will be very much appreciated.

Chuck

AZPAPACHUCK

fenris,

The Omega program works fine with what came in the software package. Text is perfect and manipulation of that as well as using the library files are no problems at all. However, it seems that few people want to have something different, they all tend to want a logo duplicated or want to use something that they found somewhere else. I need to be able to scan and then convert. I hate to have to learn another software program at the same time I'm learning Omega, but I'll do whatever I need to do to get this right.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
inkscape is real easy.....i use it for auto trace as well as my personal projects at home where i don't have omega.....i'm not saying you need to design in inkscape, but the auto trace is great....especially if you're not learned enough in hand tracing....

also, there is a merchant member....the vector doctor that does raster to vector tracing...you may want to contact him

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred;

So far, I've attempted to import jpg and tiff files into the composer. I guess I'll need to find more Gerber Library files than what came with the Omega Software. It seems that I tend to do more western and equine as well as animal work and most of what came with the software is anything else except that. Is there anywhere out there in neverland that one can pick up libraries that are affordable or reasonably so? I'm trying to expand my vinyl cutting into a full fledged business instead of working strictly doing text signs (street signs and lot signs). The Signmaker was great for that sort of work, but this is really different. It's exciting and I'm ready to learn, but haven't found any clear cut instructions. The Omega program came with a huge lesson manual and it is almost entirely dedicated to layering and printing with very little included on strictly cutting vinyl. Right now, I don't have a printer. Maybe I'll be wanting to add that down the road, but I need to learn to deal with what I have right now first.

Thanks Again and anybody else that might have pointers... It will be very much appreciated.

Chuck

Omega, just like most applications has evolved into full support for printing. But if you are not going to be printing at this time then you need to get familiar with the various tracing techniques out there as well as the collections of vinyl-cut ready clipart that are available. You cannot cut a bitmap file such as a JPG or a TIF and the amount of time it takes to trace them will vary from a few minutes to many hours. Lots of software includes decent tracing tools including CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, and most signmaking applications. One traces either using automated features or by hand with a Bezier pen tool. My opinion of autotracing is that it is the single greatest deterrent to quality work ever invented and should be banned. It is quick, easy and the results SUCK if you care about quality. Almost all of the vector clipart we sell is hand traced.

Most vinyl-ready clipart is provided as black and white vectors and in the EPS format which Omega will import cleanly. You can then modify colors, size and the content once you import into Omega.

Here are links to vinyl-cut ready collections we sell. We also offer value bundles at even lower prices:

Plotter Art™ Originals

Vector Art Mega Collection 1

Vector Art Mega Collection 2

Vector Art Mega Collection 3

We also offer most of these vinyl ready images at our individual image site, ExpressClipart.com which features a keyword search, category browsing and immediate downloads. For member convenience, there is also a search box for Express Clipart on the home page here at Signs 101.

AZPAPACHUCK

Thanks Fred;

I'll check them out and the prices as well. Since I'm just starting to try to make this a business, I'll be moving a bit slower than what might be the usual, but I'm serious in making this work.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone else that is trying to help.

Chuck

AZPAPACHUCK

I named the first sign shop that I opened in 1984 Signs, Etc.... The full name of this one is Sierra Bonita Signs, Etc... I just tend to shorten it about half of the time. My wife's name is Bonita and I'm a suck up. However we are also in the Arizona High Desert about 4 miles from the Mexican Border and Sierra Bonita Signs in Spanish means Pretty Mountain Signs, so it is a play on words.