• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Omega

Jase

We are running a few seats of Omega but I would like to load it onto a laptop to use at home purely for design work to output on the Edge in the office the next day. Do I need to purchase yet another seat or can I us/backup one of seats to my laptop minus the dongle? Guess it wouldn't save if I did this?

Thanks

Jason

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You would need to unplug one of your dongles and plug it into your laptop, then install Omega to the laptop using the installation CDs. You can then carry the dongle back and forth to plug into whichever computer you want to use. The unplugged copy will only run in Demo mode if launched.

Your other option is to purchase a copy of Omega Design Station which can design and save files but cannot output to a plotter or printer ... but sells for less.

Be aware of what version(s) of Omega you are running. PLT files from older versions will open on newer versions but newer version saved PLT files will not open on older versions of Omega.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You can get a copy of layout station (LS) for $195 if you upgrade an older version to Omega 5. Normally LS is $895.00.

JB

Jase

Thanks, handy to know as we have some stations running 3.0 which I like but maybe worth doing.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Be careful where you put your dongle! (lol):omg:
Seriously though, without the dongle the Composer wont work, and you can break a dongle easily so if you're sticking it in a laptop port and moving the laptop around it is in danger.

Jase

Be careful where you put your dongle! (lol):omg:
Seriously though, without the dongle the Composer wont work, and you can break a dongle easily so if you're sticking it in a laptop port and moving the laptop around it is in danger.

Agree, will it not launch without the dongle? Can you remove the dongle once it's up and running and you do not want to print? Does it just disable the saving?

I'm worried about protecting the dongle but I guess I could get an extension cable to avoid catching it and tape it to the lid?

James Burke

Plug the dongle into a hub and keep them both in a small padded zipper case with the cord out so that it will easily plug into your laptop. That will protect the dongle from getting bumped around, especially on a laptop.

The last thing you want to do is to continually insert and remove a dongle...which will wear it out. If you're going to wear anything out, make sure it's the plug on a hub. They're easily replaceable.

JB

iSign

Agree, will it not launch without the dongle? Can you remove the dongle once it's up and running and you do not want to print? Does it just disable the saving?

I'm worried about protecting the dongle but I guess I could get an extension cable to avoid catching it and tape it to the lid?

no, it won't launch (properly) without the dongle. It will launch in demo, which does disable saving.
you can't remove after launching, because it pings for the dongle at frequent intervals, to eliminate things such as running a team of designers on one seat of software.

Jase

If it's not illegal, perhaps somebody here on the forum could work as a middleman to help you get the good deal.

JB

Thanks James, I've just bought another CP seat, thought it would be more useful in the long run. A shame for us that we don't seem to see all of the deals here in the U.K.

Appreciate your thought process above.

Jason

James Burke

Thanks James, I've just bought another CP seat, thought it would be more useful in the long run. A shame for us that we don't seem to see all of the deals here in the U.K.

Appreciate your thought process above.

Jason

Gerber offers an "MIP" (Multiple Installation Program) if you already own Omega software.

You buy your first copy of Omega CP at full price, and subsequent copies of CP are $1,750.00 each (Hyatt's). I hope you at least got that deal.

JB