• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On- site

Bigdawg

Just Me
No - can't imagine having to pack up the computer, cutter, and vinyl and finding a smooth surface to apply the transfer paper just to cut at their place. They would have to pay a VERY premium price for that level of service... We do take lots of digital pix and measurements and create our comps overlaying the pictures. Haven't had any complaints going that route.

Are you considering doing this? And why?

WVB

This would be a mobile type service. One would utilize a trailer for such purpose. But keep in mind lots have to be considered such as temperatures hot in summer/cold in winter etc.

Now I have assembled larger designs on site as that is the norm to be installed. Now that we have a bay a lot of that has been eliminated.

skguff

Thanks for the input. We have done this on a limited basic when installing graphics on Fire Trucks, etc. I am thinking about taking this one step further. I have a 28" tag camper that has heat, A/C, etc. Converting it into a mobile shop. I am not talking about setting up at flea markets or tying to sell out of the trailer, just doing work out of it. Setting up a mobile cutter, computer, tools, and vinyl take me about 10 minute to install the trailer.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I can see mobile as a secondary service or if you did all your work out of the mobile or if you had 2 cutters and associated set-ups. It would be the loading and unloading that would kill us with one 24" cutter set-up. Can't really see going mobile unless it was to do events or advertising (think OP's truck).
We've considered buying a small (12-15") cutter for events but it would be for small custom graphics to sell on the spot vs. doing a sign or lettering job.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Wasn't typing quick enough to see your post above before I posted... what is the advantages to cutting those types of things on-site rather than at your shop?

WVB

Well if you are willing to remove everything each time so be it. But if you leave it in there in the summer the vinyl will fail, if you leave it in there durring the winter the vinyl will fail. So unless you remove everything every nite, or keep the camper temp. controlled 24/7 I would advise against it.

skguff

I was thinking of those jobs that are away long distance (over 50 miles) and you don't have the exact measurement just the artwork. Get everything setup in the shop and then do the measurements and cut onsite. Maybe 6 -10 times a month.

John Miller

I live in CT on the shore. If you showed up in that rig at a boat yard in the early spring you'd do as many boats a day as you had the energy for.