• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Online Design Courses/Curriculum

SqueeGee

With the proliferation of online degree programs, I've got to believe that there are probably a multitude graphic design courses available. Does anyone have experiences that they could share on the subject?

We have an excellent new employee who I think could really excel given the opportunity. She has no design experience so thus far, she's only doing very simple projects (regulatory signs or recreating existing signs). Online courses would be ideal IF...

they were reasonably priced
are less theory and more real world
could count towards a degree or certification

Any ideas?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
With the proliferation of online degree programs, I've got to believe that there are probably a multitude graphic design courses available. Does anyone have experiences that they could share on the subject?

We have an excellent new employee who I think could really excel given the opportunity. She has no design experience so thus far, she's only doing very simple projects (regulatory signs or recreating existing signs). Online courses would be ideal IF...

they were reasonably priced
are less theory and more real world
could count towards a degree or certification

Any ideas?

Theory or process? I can't imagine having any degree without learning the process of design.

The ones I know are expensive. (120-150k) There are books and then easing her into real jobs at your shop... what type of design and sign design is she going to do for you?

SqueeGee

"Theory" was the wrong word choice. What I was trying to communicate was practical, useful, real world skills. Not academic, outdated, or "History of Cave Drawings in Ancient Civilizations" type stuff.

I'd like to give her the tools and see what she's capable of but the type of things that we currently do on a routine basis are: vehicle lettering, non illuminated signs, banners, window lettering, etc - all the things a typical vinyl shop would handle.

Sticky Signs

Does she know the software?
About 12 years ago I did a night course called "desk top publishing". Not sure what they call it now but it was an introductory course to Illustrator, Photoshop and Quark. It was a good stepping stone for me and I eventually took some more advanced courses. I still couldn't design my way out of a wet paper bag but at least I can make the software do what I want.

GoodPeopleFlags

SqueeGee;885607Not academic said:
I'm in community college studying design. (I have 20 yrs of experience in sign design; just wanted to finish my degree I started 15 yrs ago.) I think that Art History is very useful knowledge to have if you're a designer or artist. Just saying, don't think of it as useless.

I would recommend that she go to a community college. Online courses are fine for some things, but being in a class where you have 1 on 1 time with the instructor and seeing what the other people in class are doing/creating is great. Community college isn't that expensive, or at least isn't around here. There are lots of financial aid and student loan options, too. And it's fun!