• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 11 Disapointing Profiling results

Asuma01

Just got done profiling some media after upgrading from Postershop 7.2 to ProductionHouse 11 and using a brand new i1io I have to say... I'm disappointed with the results. The process was way easier this time around.(because basically everything is automated) The drawback is that the resulting color gamut is terrible. It doesn't even give a decent red. I got better results in 7.2.

Yes I will have to go the advanced route and tweak, adjust, tweak. but seriously if the default profiling is this terrible then why bother at all? Green grays and orange reds.

The major problem with the automated software from what I can see is that it sets the ink restrictions WAY to low with no way to adjust the outcome (It says it automatically picks the best settings... Yeah right). I can literally see that its wrong with no option to adjust it without digging into the confusing advanced settings. I have my work cut out for me, I was just hoping it would be easier this time around.

Bly

You're clearly doing something wrong.
I use 10.2 and profile generation is awesome.

If you just upgraded you should still have customer support - use it before it runs out.

Just one thought. Make sure after you read all the icc patches you select "next" or "finish" or whatever.
Used to be you could throw away the readings if you didn't do that without saving.

Asuma01

here is a question. When I compare the Ink Restriction Swatch to the Calibration Swatch they look identical. Shouldn't there at least be some sort of a difference in density? Otherwise why bother printing out and scanning two identical looking charts? I feel like this is where the software isnt working correctly or I'm doing something wrong? I dont know what though. Its so automated that it really doesnt rely on me for much.

Bly

It sounds like something is wrong for sure, the calibration swatch should be lighter.

Hotspur

Onyx V11 Profiling

Hi

As Bly says you need to do some homework I'm afraid - the new system gives vastly better results once you have a handle on the basics.

Regarding Ink restrictions you still have the old "legacy" route if you need it and can see the chroma curve charted out to allow you to pick the max chroma point to call off your ink restrictions if you want to.

However the new automated system is designed for people who don't want to get into all that but want a good (if not optimized) profile - but note it isn't fully automatic.

You still need to make some decisions and if you make the wrong ones you can get a poor profile.

For example you need to select which gamut preset you want - maximum, coated, uncoated etc - all these simply give you a ball park gamut restriction so if you need more gamut change this to a bigger one.

To be honest a problem with the automated system is that it gives you too much ink (especially light inks - you should always pull these down to 10-15% and not leave them on the auto setting) so there must be something going wrong in your settings.

Give your dealer a call or Onyx support and get a bit of training and you will have excellent results.