• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help ONYX 21 + Mimaki CMYKcmOk

BoboB79

I have a Mimaki cjv150-160 that runs in CMYKcmOk color scheme. The dealer has built a color profile for Rasterlink 6+ and Onyx 21. I thought that Onyx, as a more advanced RIP, would have better color management. It is, Onyx has better gray color. But there is a problem with red saturation. Rasterlink gradually adds magenta to orange in the gradient from orange to red, but Onyx seems not to use orange ink when mixing red, which makes the red dull and even crimson. Any suggestions why this is happening?

yannb

Hi, my first guess is that other ink restrictions were used for yellow, orange and magenta.
Both can have good grays too, it’s just a matter of using more black ink in the separation. Defaults for gray separation is way too conservative, especially for printers with light black ink.

BoboB79

Both can have good grays too, it’s just a matter of using more black ink in the separation. Defaults for gray separation is way too conservative, especially for printers with light black ink.
Could you clarify where these gray separation settings are located? Are these K-CMY Mixing Ratio settings in Rasterlink?

yannb

Could you clarify where these gray separation settings are located? Are these K-CMY Mixing Ratio settings in Rasterlink?
These are defined in Mimaki Profilemaster, the application with which you can create device ICC profiles compatible with Rasterlink.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It can also be a setting in the file/RIP where it is set to honor CMYK profiles set in the documents, or override them in the RIP. RGB documents are going to use more "special" colors than CMYK built documents.