• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Epson Edition

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What are the limitations of using the Onyx RIP that is included with the Epson S series printers? Can it create OPOS marks and output for a Summa? I contacted Epson and they said it should but they don't know.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What are the limitations of using the Onyx RIP that is included with the Epson S series printers? Can it create OPOS marks and output for a Summa? I contacted Epson and they said it should but they don't know.
It does for me - you just need to add the summa as your cutter in Onyx.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I doubt it has that much limitations. You just get postershop or ripcenter locked to Epson models only.
Roll cutters always work.

Notarealsignguy

I read a different thread where CanuckSigns mentioned that it doesn't come with a cut server. I believe the Epson comes with gamma print but I can't figure out all the ins and outs of what Onyx actually has

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When we first got our Epson, we just had onyx postershop, and if I recall it did have cut server. We didn't have the summa yet, but we had a roland cutter, that I could print on the epson and use cut server to cut on the roland.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If this is up to date which it does look like, it will have full roll cutter support.

Notarealsignguy

If this is up to date which it does look like, it will have full roll cutter support.

Will it do summa barcodes? The whole Thrive upgrade sales pitch at the bottom makes me nervous. If this will do everything needed, what's the need for Thrive?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Will it do summa barcodes? The whole Thrive upgrade sales pitch at the bottom makes me nervous. If this will do everything needed, what's the need for Thrive?
Yes it will.
Thrive.. more printers mostly and full color management etc. Stuff you don't need. Grand printers, network license yada yada.

Don't worry, you will be just fine with that Epson edition.

Last edited:

Saturn

Aging Member
Seconding Boudica, I use the free Onyx/Gamaprint they gave me with my 80600, I think version 18 or 19. It adds Summa marks and barcodes to everything I print, but I DO use Summa Cutter Control to drive my two cutters with the files Onyx creates. Easy peasy.

Notarealsignguy

Seconding Boudica, I use the free Onyx/Gamaprint they gave me with my 80600, I think version 18 or 19. It adds Summa marks and barcodes to everything I print, but I DO use Summa Cutter Control to drive my two cutters with the files Onyx creates. Easy peasy.
Do you output the cut file from Onyx to a staging/hot folder for the cuts? Dumb question, does it name the cut file because using the corel plugin with gosign, it outputs it as "output.plt" which requires another step of opening the folder and renaming it which is annoying. Unless I am doing it wrong?

Saturn

Aging Member
Do you output the cut file from Onyx to a staging/hot folder for the cuts? Dumb question, does it name the cut file because using the corel plugin with gosign, it outputs it as "output.plt" which requires another step of opening the folder and renaming it which is annoying. Unless I am doing it wrong?
Yup. Saves to a Google Drive folder that shows up instantly on another computer that SCC grabs from. The files are just sequential gibberish, but match the text next to the printed barcode—one each for the "top" and "bottom" codes.

Notarealsignguy

Yup. Saves to a Google Drive folder that shows up instantly on another computer that SCC grabs from. The files are just sequential gibberish, but match the text next to the printed barcode—one each for the "top" and "bottom" codes.
I guess with barcodes it wouldn't matter what the name was since it is all auto, wasn't really thinking there.