• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ONYX layout circle

leslie cai

Hi Every one

I am new to here and using ONYX around 3 months, and I get a question, how to layout circle shape to save white space?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Agree with ikarasu above... I will occasionally do the layout in Illustrator myself and put them into a hexagonal matrix, which is the most optimal for circles, but the with the time taken and near irrelevant value of wasted material it doesn't get done often.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You buy the super expensive onyx truefit tool if you want it done automatically. No way to do it via onyx itself unfortunately
Well is it really super expensive if it saves you time and pays back itself eventually?
That's the whole selling point of it anyway.

ikarasu

Well is it really super expensive if it saves you time and pays back itself eventually?
Depends on what you do. If you're just using it for vinyl...even using the most expensive vinyl, Saving an extra few percent of vinyl will take years to pay it off.

If you're doing substrate cutting, it makes more sense.

And my super expensive is in relation to Flexi providing it for free with their software... Before onyx even came out with there's.

I'm not a big fan of DLC / Addons. Imagine if Adobe started making their own addons for illustrator.. New features should be included in new versions of the software, not sold as a seperate program.

Now you have onyx gold, onyx hub, onyx truefit.. You have to pay for their new color checking option.. Pretty soon you'll be getting the base print only onyx, and everything else will be an addon. That, or they do away with the buy once, and everyone is stuck on the new onyx go platform!

CanuckSigns

Depends on what you do. If you're just using it for vinyl...even using the most expensive vinyl, Saving an extra few percent of vinyl will take years to pay it off.

If you're doing substrate cutting, it makes more sense.

And my super expensive is in relation to Flexi providing it for free with their software... Before onyx even came out with there's.

I'm not a big fan of DLC / Addons. Imagine if Adobe started making their own addons for illustrator.. New features should be included in new versions of the software, not sold as a seperate program.

Now you have onyx gold, onyx hub, onyx truefit.. You have to pay for their new color checking option.. Pretty soon you'll be getting the base print only onyx, and everything else will be an addon. That, or they do away with the buy once, and everyone is stuck on the new onyx go platform!

I use the ecut plugin for coreldraw and it does true shape nesting along with hundreds of other very useful things, all for a one time $60 price, one of the best software purchases I have bought in a long time!

Speaking of add ons, the one that got me recently, on our Summa F1612, it's a $2000 "upgrade" to enable the barcode workflow, something that already exists in the software and costs Summa absolutely nothing to activate, on a $90,000 piece of equipment.

Val47

I had the trial, and found that I didn't use it enough to justify the purchase. I can imagine situations where it would be worth the cost, and it is pretty nifty. but for my work load, I would probably only benefit from it a few times a year. Not enough to pay for itself.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You guys must be just furious of Canon then.
On the new Colorado 1630 you have two physical slots for rolls but unless you buy the "license" for the 2nd one, you can't use it.

With software it's always possible there is licensing fees behind them. Them software companies have to make that sweet $$$ as well.

CanuckSigns

On the new Colorado 1630 you have two physical slots for rolls but unless you buy the "license" for the 2nd one, you can't use it.

With software it's always possible there is licensing fees behind them. Them software companies have to make that sweet $$$ as well.
Not in summa's case, the machine still uses the on board camera to read the crop marks, but if you want it to read the barcode and pull the appropriate file from the server it's a $2000 option. The software that interfaces with the camera is always running weather you pay for it or not, they've just deactivated the barcode workflow and sell it as an add on.

Tesla I believe was caught doing something similar recently with their battery capacity, all their cars have the same battery system in them, but if you don't pay for the extended range they use software to limit the distance you can drive on a charge.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

And the FLX/matte function... they can turn either of them on remotely once you pay the fee. I can understand having a more entry level model though, as the 1650 cannot compete price-wise with HP/Epson and their 64" printers.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Not in summa's case, the machine still uses the on board camera to read the crop marks, but if you want it to read the barcode and pull the appropriate file from the server it's a $2000 option. The software that interfaces with the camera is always running weather you pay for it or not, they've just deactivated the barcode workflow and sell it as an add on.
Yes I know what you mean but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a patent/licensing fee that summa has to pay for every machine that has the function enabled.
Even for the S2 roll cutters you have to separately activate the barcode function, even tho it is included for free.
This would point towards that there is some fee that summa has to pay for every machine using the function.
Just my theory. One of these "pay for what you use" cases.