• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ONYX - Media settings preventing barcode/cut data workflow?

Saturn

Aging Member
Added white ink to my S80600. It prints the white channel as expected, but I cannot get it to use cut data while using the new white ink quicksets/media selections. Getting "no cut data" errors.

The same files print and cut just fine in my non-white media settings and quicksets. All my work involves print/cut barcode workflow with Onyx and my Summa, so I'm familiar with that process. (Or at least thought I was.)

Can anyone think of common conflicts in Onyx that would prevent good cut files from generating? Prefix and cutter selection have been triple checked. Still hoping it's just an overlooked check box or pulldown.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
You have separate spot colors named for each? a spot color for the white, and a spot color for the CutContour?

Saturn

Aging Member
You have separate spot colors named for each? a spot color for the white, and a spot color for the CutContour?

Yup. It seems like it's got to be an obvious hiccup like that, but so far I'm drawing a blank. I'm 99% sure it's something I've overlooked, but... we know how new processes go. ;p

Saturn

Aging Member
I have a quickset I can share with you.... If I can figure out how...

I'd love to try it! I'm still thinking it may be another setting I've neglected outside the QuickSets, but who knows! You should be able to export them from the Configure Printer>Quick Sets menu.

Boudica

I'll try it when this job is done printing... I don't think I can get into that area while I'm printing.

ikarasu

I was reading the HP 700 spec sheet, it went over the pros and cons of Onyx versus Flexi. Apparently one of the cons of onyx is that if you have a white spot Channel print and cut does not work... No idea why that makes sense and I've never tested it but it seems weird.

I do have a printing cut job coming up and I was thinking of just sitting the print up in illustrator for cutting and theoretically that should work, might be at work around if summa has its own option as well

Saturn

Aging Member
I was reading the HP 700 spec sheet, it went over the pros and cons of Onyx versus Flexi. Apparently one of the cons of onyx is that if you have a white spot Channel print and cut does not work... No idea why that makes sense and I've never tested it but it seems weird.

I do have a printing cut job coming up and I was thinking of just sitting the print up in illustrator for cutting and theoretically that should work, might be at work around if summa has its own option as well

Well at least I might not be crazy. That seems like a little bit of an issue...

I've at least found Onyx responsive, so I'll drop them a line and see what they say. ;p

Saturn

Aging Member
Maybe it only works through the Onyx cut server, but not the Summa Cutter Control?

I'll have to try that.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've printed spot white and contour cut in Onyx plenty of times... not with our S80600, but on our Arizona.
We don't stock white ink for the Epson so I'm afraid I can't test out this exact situation, but I'd imagine there is a solution.

Edit: This is with our FC8600. We don't have barcode capability, not sure if that is the difference between our setups but I'd be doubtful.

Boudica

Maybe it only works through the Onyx cut server, but not the Summa Cutter Control?

I'll have to try that.
Maybe? I have done white only, contour cut through the Epson, but this was before the summa, different plotter, and I was going through cut server. No bar code use.

Boudica

I've at least found Onyx responsive, so I'll drop them a line and see what they say. ;p
This. If you have Onyx support they can be very helpful with a phone call. We have the phone support contract we got with our upgrade to Onyx 21.
But I'd be curious if you can import that quickset I shared. Would love to know if it works for you. :)

Saturn

Aging Member
Yup, no problem importing the quickset, but didn't get a chance to actually use it on a file yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Onyx/Summa thing. Ver 19 and 21 of Onyx both had issues creating Summa barcodes. Support said that version 19 (with their special "Summa patch") was the best route at that time. Ver 21 also had a problem where it would simply not install on some computers. Guess who bought a new computer that it didn't want to install on. They jumped right on Team Viewer and gave it their best shot, but all these issues were already ones they were aware of, so I'm never eager to touch what's not broken with them... Very pleasant people though! I would guess if it's a real issue and not just operator error(!) then they've heard of it. So I'll try and report back when I know more.

Saturn

Aging Member
Got it to work.

Apparently the fault must lie with one of my settings on the first white quicksets I was trying to build. I tried one Boudica sent me, and some new ones I created, and they all print and cut just fine. I'm still not sure what I had selected wrong, but it appears to be human error. The Epson/Summa combo handles Spot1/White and CutContour barcode workflow just fine.

Also, if anyone has an EMX or OML that's for sure got the 3L Color>White>White-or-White>Color>White I would be thrilled to test that out too. I haven't found any canned profiles yet that have the 3L. I had read on here that the 3M 8150 Clear View might have it, but I'm not seeing it in anything I'm able to grab from the Epson dashboard.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

Under onyx considerations... It says print cut workflow doesn't work. Maybe it's just for sandwich mode now that I re read it, so maybe that doesn't help you!
Its only sandwich that is problematic. Everything else works normal.
On sandwich I would recommend doing everything before importing to RIP.

And this is driver limitation anyway. On Epson things can work completely differently.