• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Production house question

M@CK

Hey guy's, quick question on this fine morning.

I have ben using Onyx for some time now, and one issue I get is that Onyx wont tell me the print count or percentage of the already printed material. It will give a percentage wen its printing, but If anything happens like paper out, I have to cut the printed material to know what's left to print.

Am I missing something ?
Any way to set Onyx to register the percentage like in the console ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If this is not the appropriate forum please relocate this post.

NZDR-Payne

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you wanting Onyx to track how much media is used on a roll? Say you load a 100ft roll and use 20ft you want Onyx to tell you there is 80ft left on the roll?

If this is the case you are out of luck. Onyx, unlike your printer, does not know when a new roll of media is loaded or unloaded. I'm not familiar with the new x10 version of Onyx but I know the past versions will not do this.

I think he's asking, "How do I know what didn't print if I run out of media?"

This is what I do:

When the printer runs out of media (or a similar error) the RIPQueue window will still be open in the background. If you look at the percentage printed and do some math you can figure out where the printer stopped.

Say you printing 50 prints that fit the media width and it stops at 75%. 50 x .75 = 37.5. Good chance that you got 37 prints before you crash and it probably died in the middle of the 38th.

M@CK

II Jake, this is exactly what I want to know, but wen the printer runs out of media, the status and the percentage disappears like if their was an error of some sort, it doesn't wait for me to cancel it, the jobs just moves to the buffered jobs with a red X on it.

So wen I send 200 posters in six different lot printing over the night on a three quarter roll that I'm not certain of the length, I need to pull out the printed material and cut it down before re-starting the run.

Maybe I overlooked a hold for operator somewhere ?

Thanks for the help

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Jake, that certainly won't work with any printer that has any kind of a cache. For instance, depending on the size of the job, our Onyx rip will report a job is 100% complete when the panel on the Ion shows anywhere from 30% to 90% complete. Because of the cache on the printer, the %completed reported by Onyx is always ahead of %completed reported by the Ion and could never be considered accurate or even close.

Jake, that certainly won't work with any printer that has any kind of a cache. For instance, depending on the size of the job, our Onyx rip will report a job is 100% complete when the panel on the Ion shows anywhere from 30% to 90% complete. Because of the cache on the printer, the %completed reported by Onyx is always ahead of %completed reported by the Ion and could never be considered accurate or even close.

Hmm... My HP 9000 is the only thing I really run any bulk and it is a USB printer. The way ONYX talks to it, it doesn't cache much.

Hadn't considered that... Good point. Oh well, I tried.

So, I guess it really would be impossible to know. If the printer is caching before it prints and then it stops for some reason there would be no way to know how much had actually printed.

Last edited: