• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Rip wont rip certain file

jason91

hey can somebody people help me understand why onyx is crashing trying to rip my file
the wrap file is 1.7 gb eps file...Is there a file max limit?
it opens perfect in job editor, but when i send it to rip it says "UI for global graphics pdf print engine has stopped working" and says print error
It will rip if i check the two stage processing box and put pixel duplication to 2...but the the print is messed up and the drop shadows and transparencys are messed up..

FrankW

How much free hard disk space is available on your computer? If the preview in Job editor is correctly shown, the file should be ok (the preview will be RIPped too, but with low resolution).

brdesign

How much ram and what type of processor does your RIP computer have, a file that big maybe more than the hardware can handle. Have you tried converting it to a tiff file, also delete any old jobs in the rip queue. In the past I have had issues ripping .eps files, I try to print everything as pdf or tiff.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sometimes it just comes down to the individual file. We've had some "smaller" EPS files with a LOT of little points (wallpaper with repeating art in the background) throw it off and need rasterized with Photoshop before Onyx was happy with it, but have no problems printing trailer wraps. I think it is all of the data/math that EPS/vector files include that can throw off the RIP sometimes.

netsol

the rule used to be that you wanted 3x the file size in free space, plus the size of paging files, for windows use, etc
we had a windows server the other day seemed to be running out of space with 7.8 gb showing in console, so i suppose that is possible

jason91

161 gb free of 232 gb total.. 5gb ram...
it will rip and print as a tif (500mb file) or a pdf (150mb file) , but the colors don't print aren't exactly same as the eps i'm wanting to use.. eps files are just so much bigger

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
hey can somebody people help me understand why onyx is crashing trying to rip my file
the wrap file is 1.7 gb eps file...Is there a file max limit?
it opens perfect in job editor, but when i send it to rip it says "UI for global graphics pdf print engine has stopped working" and says print error
It will rip if i check the two stage processing box and put pixel duplication to 2...but the the print is messed up and the drop shadows and transparencys are messed up..
The EPS file format does not support those effects you are using nor does it support easy color management because it doesn't carry an ICC profile.

Yes, the RIP station needs a lot of free disk space in order to work. Clear the Onyx "works" folder as much as you can and especially any unsuccessful RIPs.

it will rip and print as a tif (500mb file) or a pdf (150mb file) , but the colors don't print aren't exactly same as the eps i'm wanting to use
The RIP color management settings and policies should be set to use the working space and rendering intent you desire. Right now, it seems it is not in sync with what you're using on your design station and since your EPS file is not providing a providing an input profile, the PDF and TIFF files are using different profiles altogether.

Design, save, and print a PDF in a large gamut color space such as Adobe RGB 1998, be sure sure to set Onyx to honor such a color space is a simple path to start.

Good luck.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Can be a problem with a font.
Flatten font into image for that.
If Onyx locks up during rip it could also be related to name of file so simplify name.

unclebun

If the file came from Illustrator and uses certain kinds of effects, it can crash most anything. Try exporting the file as a 150 dpi jpg file and print it.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Shrink the whole file and save as an .eps like you would do at full size and see what happens.
That way you know if its a file size issue or something in the file. Could be a font or picture or a thousand little vector lines in there that it's having trouble processing.

Ed. C.

if you have a lot of old jobs in your already printed que. You may want to delete them from the onyx work folder!!!!

jason91

i finally got it to print correctly...but what i did was i converted the background and all the transparencys to a 150dpi bitmap, put the all the vectors on top of the bitmap and exported it as a pdf... its a 2ft by 15 ft graphic and the pdf was only 20mb that way...but it printed perfectly with no pixelated look...wonder why a eps is so much larger exported file than a pdf

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
wonder why a eps is so much larger exported file than a pdf
It's because EPS does not support transparency and it was trying to render that, gradients, and such as paths. EPS as a print document has been obsolete for 20+ years. They might print but without the benefit of color management. Color would need to be managed manually.

jason91

It's because EPS does not support transparency and it was trying to render that, gradients, and such as paths. EPS as a print document has been obsolete for 20+ years. They might print but without the benefit of color management. Color would need to be managed manually.
makes sense ...thanks