• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ONYX RipQueue - is it possible to print to PDF with graphtec cut marks?

PrintQueen

Howdy y'all,

I'm trying to solve a problem that we're running into. We just recently installed a new EFI Pro16H UV-led printer, and we're looking to start insourcing jobs that require clear vinyl so we can utilize the white ink printing on the Pro16H. We currently offer stickers on white vinyl which we print on a HP Latex 365, and cut with a Graphtec FC8600. We use ONYX RipQueue (Go+) for the printing and cutting between the HP and the Graphtec. The EFI runs on it's own print utility and utilizes Fiery Command Workstation. As far as I can tell, and from what I was told from the tech who trained me, I'm only able to generate cut marks for select flatbed routers.

We're discussing stickers on clear vinyl, but we can't figure out how we'd print the files on the EFI and cut them on the Graphtec cutter. Can this be done? Does anyone know if you can print to PDF through onyx , so it 1. generates a cut file for the Graphtec, and 2. exports the print file as a PDF, with multiple-up and Graphtec cut marks?

Thanks everyone, happy printing!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Your using onyx? If you select the cutter you want to use, Onyx should print the registration marks for that cutter. Are you not using cut server too?
to the best of my knowledge, you can't print the cut file to PDF through onyx, but if you're using cut server than you wouldn't need to.

Last edited:

unclebun

Onyx Thrive supports the EFI Pro 16H since version 19. Just upgrade your Onyx and print to the EFI using that.

PrintQueen

Your using onyx? If you select the cutter you want to use, Onyx should print the registration marks for that cutter. Are you not using cut server too?
to the best of my knowledge, you can't print the cut file to PDF through onyx, but if you're using cut server than you wouldn't need to.
I'm using onyx for our latex printer - paired with cut server. our new printer has its own print utility and also uses Fiery command workstation. I was told that Fiery XF supports the graphtec cutter, so we are either looking into upgrading onyx to Thrive (we have 3 printers now so we would need to upgrade), or activating the cut server in Fiery XF. I think we are slowly figuring out the solution.

PrintQueen

Onyx Thrive supports the EFI Pro 16H since version 19. Just upgrade your Onyx and print to the EFI using that.
This is one of the two options that we are looking into. the other option would be to activate the cut server option in Fiery XF. I'm curious about upgrading to Thrive -- we use one PC for our 2 HP printers, but the EFI has its own built-in PC. Does the onyx application run on two different PCs at once? the EFI is in a different room, so if I have to use only one PC to run ONYX then it kind of interrupts the workflow of our space.. not sure if you necessarily have that answer, but it is a question that's been on my mind during this whole process (i'll likely just call ONYX support and ask)

JBurton

Signtologist
If they are all networked, and the PC can handle ripping while printing, you should be able to run all 3 printers from the one PC.
Alternatively, like victor mentioned, you can literally make reg marks for the graphtec with the illustrator and corel plugins, export them along with your art, and read and cut the registration marks with your 8600. It's not the prettiest solution, and robs a lot of potential automation from the process, but if you're either frugal or in a bind, yes, it's super easy.

signheremd

Howdy y'all,

I'm trying to solve a problem that we're running into. We just recently installed a new EFI Pro16H UV-led printer, and we're looking to start insourcing jobs that require clear vinyl so we can utilize the white ink printing on the Pro16H. We currently offer stickers on white vinyl which we print on a HP Latex 365, and cut with a Graphtec FC8600. We use ONYX RipQueue (Go+) for the printing and cutting between the HP and the Graphtec. The EFI runs on it's own print utility and utilizes Fiery Command Workstation. As far as I can tell, and from what I was told from the tech who trained me, I'm only able to generate cut marks for select flatbed routers.

We're discussing stickers on clear vinyl, but we can't figure out how we'd print the files on the EFI and cut them on the Graphtec cutter. Can this be done? Does anyone know if you can print to PDF through onyx , so it 1. generates a cut file for the Graphtec, and 2. exports the print file as a PDF, with multiple-up and Graphtec cut marks?

We add the crop marks in Flexi and then print through Onyx and our Graphtec reads them just fine. But they are the Graphtec crop marks and the file must have both print and cut in the design. What design software are you using?

ONYXtechtips

This is one of the two options that we are looking into. the other option would be to activate the cut server option in Fiery XF. I'm curious about upgrading to Thrive -- we use one PC for our 2 HP printers, but the EFI has its own built-in PC. Does the onyx application run on two different PCs at once? the EFI is in a different room, so if I have to use only one PC to run ONYX then it kind of interrupts the workflow of our space.. not sure if you necessarily have that answer, but it is a question that's been on my mind during this whole process (i'll likely just call ONYX support and ask)
Thrive can run on multiple PCs. The key is to order 2 workstations, at least 3 printers, and enough rips to split between the two work stations. This would give you the ability to rip multiple jobs at once. You would have the ability to split rips between workstations depending on the amount of files or based on the number of printers. For instance if you have Workstation #1 with two printers, you may want 4 rips dedicated to that workstation and Workstation #2 has 2 rips with one printer.

JH

When I design cut files I simply draw a box around the entire cut area as a registration mark. (I find it easier that using Graphtec's cut plot registration marks in the design file. I can have multiple cut layouts/designs in one file.)

If you are wanting to simply print a pdf from a customers file you need to enable image Bleed and create a trim box 3/4 to an inch outside the print area that is 16 px wide. This will not create a pdf to cut but you should be able to open/import the pdf in illustrator/flexi/corel and add the registration marks that are the same as the print. We only have postershop but thrive will create a graphtec folder with all the cut files but you have to use thrive to cut the file. (I think it's a svg file)

Signarama Jockey

Howdy y'all,

I have been having the same problem. I have a Roland inkjet that we've traditionally done our printing on, and a Graphtec cutter that we bring laminated prints over to for cutting. We export .pdf files directly over to the EFI RIP, and it looks like the crop marks get added right before printing, and I can't export a .pdf file that has the crop marks properly spaced out on it. When I print out of Flexi through Production manager, it generates a .pdf file that it saves in a SAi directory (C:\Program Files\SAi\SAi Production suite 22_1\Jobs and Settings\Flexijobs\Roland...). But like I said, even though I know what the printer will be printing, I don't have the final step of having the crop marks conveniently saved with the .pdf.

You're using a different RIP, but I bet you have the same options. Hopefully you do.

When I print a file through Production manager, it slightly inflates the bounding box size of the print. So, it I print a 10" x 10" square, it registers the Job size as 10.210 x 10.210. If I go to the Contour Tab and find the OPtions button in the Registration Mark section, I can set the margin of the crop marks to 1 inch. All of this adds up to me having crop marks that are 12.210" apart. Now, I could just set the margin to any number I wanted to get a nice round number, but the point is that the registration marks are larger than my Job Size plus the margin (times 2). A Job size that was 16.440" wit a registration margin of 1" would be 18.440".

What this means is that I can fake it. I can send the file as a contour cut only job, and then I can make a second file that I save as a .pdf to the EFI. The second file would have that extra margin and the contour cut lines drawn in place.

I have not had the time to try this. I'd be eager to hear how it works out for you. When I have some time I'll see how it works on my end and keep you posted.

One last comment would be that I'm sure that the width of the crop mark might be a factor. If the machine measures from the inside of the line, or the outside of the line, then the registration will be ever so slightly warped. But, it should get you pretty close to perfect.

Last edited:

Signarama Jockey

UPDATE: I had a little bit of time last night and I did a cut test from the EFI.

I set up a file with a contour cut line and I sent it as a contour job to my Graphtec cutter. I noted the job size and wrote that down.
I went in to the registration mark outlines and got the margin, the mark weight and the mark dimensions.
I went back into Flexi and made a white box that was the size of the job plus 2x the margin. (Job width + right margin + left margin and Job height + top margin + bottom margin)
I centered this box behind the design and sent it to the back.
I created a 90 degree angle that was equal to the registration mark size, and set the stroke width to the appropriate size.
I put a copy of each registration mark in the corners of the white box.
I exported a .pdf of the layout with the white background and registration marks to the EFI.
Printed the file.
Loaded it into the Graphtec.
Cut almost perfectly.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
UPDATE: I had a little bit of time last night and I did a cut test from the EFI.

I set up a file with a contour cut line and I sent it as a contour job to my Graphtec cutter. I noted the job size and wrote that down.
I went in to the registration mark outlines and got the margin, the mark weight and the mark dimensions.
I went back into Flexi and made a white box that was the size of the job plus 2x the margin. (Job width + right margin + left margin and Job height + top margin + bottom margin)
I centered this box behind the design and sent it to the back.
I created a 90 degree angle that was equal to the registration mark size, and set the stroke width to the appropriate size.
I put a copy of each registration mark in the corners of the white box.
I exported a .pdf of the layout with the white background and registration marks to the EFI.
Printed the file.
Loaded it into the Graphtec.
Cut almost perfectly.
This. If you know the margins and settings for the reg marks you can draw them.

Chichia96

You could make the marks with cutting master in illustrator
Hi. I haven’t had much luck with getting CM4 to work with my machinery, I probably didn’t try hard enough tbh, but before I try again would you say it’s a full service alternative to the flexi/production manager combo?

victor bogdanov

Hi. I haven’t had much luck with getting CM4 to work with my machinery, I probably didn’t try hard enough tbh, but before I try again would you say it’s a full service alternative to the flexi/production manager combo?
I use the CM4 registration marks for files I print regularly, Set it up once and the Graphtec fc9000 fetches the cut file from USB drive without being connected to a computer or anything else