• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx setting up barcodes for print to cut?

Alamo

We've had a Colex flatbed cutter for a couple months now and just this week got a new flatbed printer that uses Onyx. I am brand new to all of this and am trying to figure out how to set up barcodes so that we can print a barcode and then have our colex cutter read the barcode and know exactly what to cut. I was told during our Colex training to call them when we got our printer and they would walk us through, but I just called and they told me it's super easy to do what I want to do and I just need to google it and watch videos (ok, thanks?). Well, I did google it and I'm not having any luck. Can anyone share any video resources, or if it's so simple, the steps, for doing what I'm trying to do? I'm brand new to Onyx, still fairly new to this cutter and trying my best to learn. Thanks in advance.

bgraphix

Did you make the cutter active in Onyx?

You have to first make the cutter active in Rip Queue under File, then Manage Cutters. When you choose the cutter to make active you can press the configure button for settings.

The way I print, I open the file in Job Editor and on the first page of Printer and Media, down on the bottom left choose that cutter under Contour Cutter Selection and it will automatically place registration and barcode when you send it to the Rip Queue to print.

MGB_LE

Did you make the cutter active in Onyx?

You have to first make the cutter active in Rip Queue under File, then Manage Cutters. When you choose the cutter to make active you can press the configure button for settings.

The way I print, I open the file in Job Editor and on the first page of Printer and Media, down on the bottom left choose that cutter under Contour Cutter Selection and it will automatically place registration and barcode when you send it to the Rip Queue to print.
How do you tell it what to cut, though. If I'm contour cutting a circle or triangle or butterfly, how's Onyx know where to place the cut line?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
based on the plotter assigned in Onyx, the registration and/or bar code will be printed with the artwork. Then the plotter reads the registration marks and knows where to cut.

.... that felt too easy, did it help, or am I not understanding the question?

ETA: you will have contour cut paths in the artwork, set with a spot color for contour cutting. - is that what you meant?

Last edited:

MGB_LE

based on the plotter assigned in Onyx, the registration and/or bar code will be printed with the artwork. Then the plotter reads the registration marks and knows where to cut.

.... that felt too easy, did it help, or am I not understanding the question?

ETA: you will have contour cut paths in the artwork, set with a spot color for contour cutting. - is that what you meant?
YESSSS, That's what I was missing. If the cut contour paths are in the artwork from prepress, they may as well add the registration dots, though. I was thinking that Onyx would somehow KNOW what to cut out of the artwork, but I was puzzled as to HOW it would know.

In Print

YESSSS, That's what I was missing. If the cut contour paths are in the artwork from prepress, they may as well add the registration dots, though. I was thinking that Onyx would somehow KNOW what to cut out of the artwork, but I was puzzled as to HOW it would know.
I am surprised that they would not walk you through it. We have it set up I can try to help you. But if you have your quick set in Onyx set up correctly then it will place your registration dots as well as set up your barcode. But you have to make sure that your machine will read the QR code