• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Onyx, Summa and Roll to Roll

Goatshaver

See where I can get help with this first.

I haven't printed roll to roll yet and I've got a decent size job I can do this with. However I'm really not even sure how to set this up in onyx. Do I have to layout my sheet in layout tool or illustrator and then just set that file with however many copies I need?

Sorry this might help.Say I've got 8.5" x 11" sheets with 30 labels on them and I need 150 of these 8.5 x 11 sheets for the job. Can I setup blocks of say, 15, 8.5 x 11 sheets and have it print all of them with breaks in between the blocks of 15.

And is there a way to have it setup so it would cut off the sheet after doing the kiss cuts on the Summa?

I just don't want to waste a half a roll of material trying it and finding out that I missed something.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

Here;s how I would do this:

-Set the 8.5"x11" files in your design program
-Bring it into onyx rip
-in onyx, on the right side, click the gear icon beside your materials, this will open your material manager, there is a list of various roll and sheet sizes, click the add new.
-set your new material as a sheet rather than a roll, and tell it the sheet is 54" wide x whatever your maximum length will be
-Onyx will now fit as many of the 8.5" x 11" sheets into your "sheet" as possible
Click back on the gear icon and tell it to add 6-8" of blank on the tail edge of the print, this will allow you to cut the prints into sheets after laminating and cut them out individuals.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Are all the labels the same? It doenst really matter but let me know and I’ll let you know how I’d do that too.

So you’re along the right path, for me, doing say 3000 of that if set it into the sheet size you want, then load that into onyx. Say I need 300 copies.

Then make a custom roll size, you’re doing this so that the barcode is every now and then rather than a barcode at either end of the roll (that’s asking for trouble). So I’d make a roll size that’s the right width then I usually make it anywhere between 42-50 high. This will split your sheets into *manageable* sections for the summa.

In the placement options, just put in whatever you want between each sheet. I usually do about .5”-1”.

not sure how your individual printer will handle the next part (I have a Colorado and get extra options once I hit print) but I get to set the leading and trailing edge for each print. If it’s the same artwork I make 1 “sheet” then once I hit print I get the put in the designed amount in the layout copies and the Colorado counts them for me too. Going to assume once you hit print it’ll just print the whole thing at once and put intermittent barcodes.

Assuming you have an S-class (I think I’ve seen you talk about it). If you open up the cut server, then configure the cutter, there’s an option in the cutter options to “cut sheet” or something to that effect, what that’ll do, is once the cutter has finished cutting one sheet, it’ll read the next one then cut the one it’s just finished into the basket so you can start working on it.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Also, another helpful tip if you’re using onyx to generate the barcodes, go to file - manage cutters - s class- then you can edit the distance onyx places the barcodes to the artwork. If I remember right you can almost half it - saves tonnes of room and helped us get another copy up on the sheet of one of our most common jobs.

Bly

We've got a takeup for our Summa and that makes life easy if it's a full roll.
It's a bit hard to load but stops the beginning of the job getting creased and crushed.

Goatshaver

Awesome! Thanks for the help I will certainly try these suggestions out!

Also, another helpful tip if you’re using onyx to generate the barcodes, go to file - manage cutters - s class- then you can edit the distance onyx places the barcodes to the artwork. If I remember right you can almost half it - saves tonnes of room and helped us get another copy up on the sheet of one of our most common jobs.

Yeah I see that. I just didn't want to mess with it and end up not being able to read it. I'll definitely try that as well. Saving room is always a good thing!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I think if you use the plugins they have for illy and Corel you can get the marks even closer but the amount of different jobs we do that need cut on the summa mean it would probably need someone sitting there all day making cut files. Happy enough with the marks as close as I can make them automatically in onyx lol. I think the only thing I left default was the intermittent register marks. Approx every 500mm