• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Support says Onyx Rip can't auto-rotate files?

Hello All -

Basically, I have a landscape banner that is 10 ft wide and 4 ft high, wanted to print on a 5 ft. wide roll and expected Onyx Thrive to be smart enough to auto-rotate the file so it will print the banner long ways, but it doesn't seem to be and requires me to open up Preflight and then rotate the file to RIP/Print it. Is there a way to automate this that I'm missing? I have a phone support contract with Onyx GFX, so I called the other day to get support on why my banner artwork (50.00 in. H x 122.00 in. W) was saying media size error when trying to RIP/Print the banner onto a media set up as 60.00 in. wide, and the support staff told me that if a file is NOT Square the auto-rotate feature can't rotate the image. That doesn't sound correct to me but wanted to see if anyone experienced this as well.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
As far as i'm aware, Onyx does not "auto rotate"
Also what version do you have?

When you open the file, in the open window, you should have the following options, Quick sets (under the printer drop down) and further down it should say magnification, rotate ect. Press rotate by how many degrees you need it to rotate.
Problem solved.

Bly

You can also right click the job in the queue > edit > rotate.

In the Conserve Media placement there's also an option for Bestfit > AllowRotate
but as you have found it doesn't always automatically rotate.

As far as i'm aware, Onyx does not "auto rotate"
Also what version do you have?

When you open the file, in the open window, you should have the following options, Quick sets (under the printer drop down) and further down it should say magnification, rotate ect. Press rotate by how many degrees you need it to rotate.
Problem solved.
You can also right click the job in the queue > edit > rotate.

In the Conserve Media placement there's also an option for Bestfit > AllowRotate
but as you have found it doesn't always automatically rotate.

I'm running V18.5 (the newest version available).

Yes, I have the placement set to "Conserve Media" and then in the settings I have Best Fit and Allow Rotate checked. It's shocking to me that Onyx can't perform this simple function yet every other RIP I use/have used (Colorburst, Caldera, Colorgate, WaSatch, Erogsoft, and EFI) does this automatically.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Our conserve media auto rotates if it doesn't fit the media width... Onyx 12.2 still. Haven't had a chance to upgrade yet.
Also works on our old copy of 10.2.
Perhaps try a re-install?

Dan360

It won't auto rotate larger files in my experience, they have to be manually rotated in the job editor or the job properties. I usually just check off rotate 90 degrees when importing anything 10 feet or larger.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
When you place a 10' wide image file in a RIP with a 5' wide path length, usually you have to indicate how you want the RIP to tile the image and specify how much overlap. The software isn't smart enough to know whether you want to turn it 90º and print as a whole piece, or tile it with specified overlaps. With smaller image files that fit within the printers image path width, there is no such conflict, allowing for "Conserve Media>Allow Rotate" commands.

Our conserve media auto rotates if it doesn't fit the media width... Onyx 12.2 still. Haven't had a chance to upgrade yet.
Also works on our old copy of 10.2.
Perhaps try a re-install?

Yeah, we use to use Onyx for years but switched to Caldera in 2016 due to the fact that it felt faster and the fact that my office staff prefers Macs to Windows machines, and my memory was that Onyx did use to do this function (but I could be remembering wrong). I expected it to do (we currently use Caldera but my employees have made some mistakes using caldera - like printing 10 copies of a file because they didn't take the time to go back and change the setting for "Step and Repeat" in that RIP for the job after an earlier job required 10 copies - or making a plotter nesting that is 150 ft and is so long our Graphtec Cutter can't get past reading the marks to cut it - even though the individual files in the nesting are only about 4 feet long or so (had they processed as individual cut jobs we would have been just fine), just sloppy mistakes that cost me money so I am considering switching back to Onyx since I think it has a better interface for reducing those mistakes, but It seems like no matter what RIP software we try they all have some drawbacks. The best part of Onyx's newer version is the larger preview window now, Caldera has this really small crappy preview area and they also want to charge for an upgrade to a version that pretty much does nothing besides support Mac OS Mojave which pisses me off (and before any Caldera fanboys respond that Caldera 12 has 'so many new features like APPE 5, and a new licensing system' that is all crap and shouldn't be a paid feature upgrade).

unclebun

Onyx can auto-rotate files. Ours does it all the time. But there are certain files which it cannot. I haven't figured out exactly what makes it not able, but it definitely seems to be a characteristic of the file itself which makes it not auto-rotate. Sometimes if it contains large bitmaps which have been rotated, or transparencies which are rotated, that seems to be a reason. But all it takes is a couple of clicks of the mouse and you can manually rotate it. You don't have to actually preflight it in the Job Editor. Just right click on it in the queue and choose Properties. Or, if you know it needs to be rotated, check the box when importing it.

Onyx can auto-rotate files. Ours does it all the time. But there are certain files which it cannot. I haven't figured out exactly what makes it not able, but it definitely seems to be a characteristic of the file itself which makes it not auto-rotate. Sometimes if it contains large bitmaps which have been rotated, or transparencies which are rotated, that seems to be a reason. But all it takes is a couple of clicks of the mouse and you can manually rotate it. You don't have to actually preflight it in the Job Editor. Just right click on it in the queue and choose Properties. Or, if you know it needs to be rotated, check the box when importing it.

Yes, I agree. I remember it being somewhat inconsistent when it worked in V10 and V11, we stopped using V12 but are considering going back to V18.5 (testing it right now).

Thanks!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Do you have this option checked in your quick set - "Process to allow rotation during print stage"?
Not sure if this could be the cause, but I remember seeing it in our settings a while back and it's always been ticked.

7VCK8xs.gif

ikarasu

Was about to say - our new latex printer wouldn't nest properly.because it wouldn't rotate. Onyx support mentioned for latex printers you have to enable the auto rotate... That they turned it off to ensure constant colors.

We do still get the odd big file that doesn't want to rotate. But that's rare.

What I wish they did was allow centering to work better. If I have 2 25 inch files... It'll center them. Then if I add a 2 10" files... That file will be placed near the edges of the media with a huge gap in the center. Only rip I've seen do it that way... It's annoying.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What I wish they did was allow centering to work better. If I have 2 25 inch files... It'll center them. Then if I add a 2 10" files... That file will be placed near the edges of the media with a huge gap in the center. Only rip I've seen do it that way... It's annoying.

Agreed... it's pretty ridiculous and annoys me at times.