• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Onyx Thrive Layout Not Generating Cut Paths When Printing

19jake91

Hi,

I just wanted to start off by saying I am relatively new to the sign making world, so thank you for any help in advance. For some background info, I am using Onyx Thrive as a rip program, HP 560 Latex printer, and a Graphtech FC8600 plotter.

The issue I am having is when I use the layout tool in Onyx with files that will be sent to the plotter after they are printed. I am able to layout the images with the cut lines showing, select a plotter and then click on the print & cut, which sends the file to the Rip Queue. When I click on the print now button in the Rip Queue I receive an error message titled "No cut paths generated" and the body states "A cutter is selected but there are no cut data for this image. Do you want to discontinue this print?"

My question is how do I get those cut paths to generate from the Layout Tool? If I print the files individually from the Rip Queue, they will print and plot without an issue. This leads me to believe I am missing something when using the Layout tool.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Do you have you cut info in your file setup properly?

I believe CutContour is the native name given by the software. We changed ours to just Cut

You also need to have it as a spot color

We use illustrator, so when we make our cut info it is always on a separate layer

Christian @ 2CT Media

Are you using layout tool? Then layout tool should generate the cut path in cut server and the ripqueue should have the cutter turned off in the default quickset as layout tool doesn't pass the cut data to the print file.

Also why are you using layout tool? Is it just to nest better?

signman315

Signmaker
I'm having a similar issue...it's a potentially 2 fold problem but I'm stumped.

I'm using the layout tool for the variable data feature which I can set up no problem. If I select "print and cut" out of the layout tool it will send the print job back to the RIP and at the same time it sends the cut file to the cut server. Great, makes sense. The print file in the RIP no longer has the cut data (for some reason) and ONYX warns you about it upon sending it to print, which shouldn't be an issue because the cut data was sent directly to the cut server from the layout tool (it does show up in the cut server and layout matches the file that was generated by the layout tool). I'm using a Summa S Class plotter...so the print file in the RIP that was created from the layout tool no longer has cut data and already has registration marks/barcode on it from the layout tool. So when I print the file it prints with a barcode for the Summa to read but the barcode marks aren't configured to the regular settings in the RIP...i.e. the dots are larger and spaced differently then regular jobs and upon trying to cut the job it finds the first mark and looks in the wrong spot for the next and can't cut the job, eventually ejecting the sheet while it looks for marks. Alternatively I tried removing the registration marks from the layout tool and just send it to the RIP and add the Summa regi marks there, except now the CutContour is no longer recognized....all the while the CutContour IS recognized in the layout tool and shows up in the cut server correctly if sent from the layout tool. If I leave the marks ON in the layout tool and select my cutter in the actual RIP then it prints two sets of registration marks, one within the other, neither of which will cut the job. The marks added in the RIP lack cut data, and the marks added in the layout tool can't be read the plotter reads the first set of vertical marks along the right edge then moves horizontal to the left/top edge reads the mark and then looks for the next mark by moving up instead of down and ejects the sheet. So in short the registration marks that come out of the layout tool can't be read by the plotter and the RIP doesn't find the CutContour data in a file that has been generated by the layout tool so I can't add the Summa registration marks there either. The end result is I can set up and print a variable data job but can't cut it. All jobs printed from the RIP with the Summa cutter selected print and cut as expected. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

signman315

Signmaker
Hi,

I just wanted to start off by saying I am relatively new to the sign making world, so thank you for any help in advance. For some background info, I am using Onyx Thrive as a rip program, HP 560 Latex printer, and a Graphtech FC8600 plotter.

The issue I am having is when I use the layout tool in Onyx with files that will be sent to the plotter after they are printed. I am able to layout the images with the cut lines showing, select a plotter and then click on the print & cut, which sends the file to the Rip Queue. When I click on the print now button in the Rip Queue I receive an error message titled "No cut paths generated" and the body states "A cutter is selected but there are no cut data for this image. Do you want to discontinue this print?"

My question is how do I get those cut paths to generate from the Layout Tool? If I print the files individually from the Rip Queue, they will print and plot without an issue. This leads me to believe I am missing something when using the Layout tool.

Thanks,
Check your cut server (button on the top in ONYX)...you're layout tool is sending the cut files there and you need to configure the cut server properly to cut the jobs. If you're not using anything in the layout tool that you can't do in the regular RIP I would avoid it...the only reason I'm using it is for the variable data feature but gives me the exact same problem you're having, with a few additional kinks. I've read in the manual that you can only use the "cut settings" under "page tools" in the layout tool if you are using an I-cut cutter, so it's possible that you can't generate proper cut files from the layout tool unless you have an I-cut machine???....but I just can't believe that to be the case, there must be a way to do it with other machines i.e. graphtec/summa/etc....

Doug78

Hi,

Thanks,

I'm using the same software setup as you it sounds like. I'm using an Epson S40600 though for a printer. My problem is that I can't get vector files to open up to the layout. When I click to open an .eps, .ai, or .pdf nothing transfers to the layout???? I can open a .jpg, but that's it. I'm sure I have a setting wrong somewhere??? Any help?