• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Thrive Rip Configuration errors...

KyleS_86

Hello all, been printing for over 6 years now, been using Onyx Rip software for all of them. But I tell you, this Onyx Thrive 221 has been nothing but a pain, and Onyx support is all but useless (without paying thousands of dollars for their support subscription smh).

The main issue that happens maybe once a month and completely stops production is that the Onyx software freezes up, and then when I close it and restart the program I then get a "RIP CONFIGURATION ERROR" which states "Warning: This configuration requested 2 rip permissions. There are 0 available. Go to file-General Settings to configure rip permissions." Which essentially forces me to restart the computer or, if that doesn't work, reinstall Onyx...We only use one computer and 1 Printer and I can't seem to find what is causing this issue.
Has anyone ever had this issue and come up with a fix. I tried reaching out to Onyx a while ago, first they ignored my emails, then when I called they said without money they wouldn't help (which I swear they used to help out quite a bit without subscription)...

We also have issues with Onyx forgetting my quickset material profiles and just changing them to generic profiles, which changes to different quicksets from week to week. Just seems like this software is just glitchy as heck and I'm curious if anyone else has been having these problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Kyle

KyleS_86

Its Version 18. And I've never had these issues before either. Its just frustrating that I can't get any help from Onyx, I thought maybe they had updates that I might possibly need but they wouldn't tell me if there was or not...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
sounds like onyx is still open in the background. next time it happens, see if it's running on task manager.
You on win 7 or 10?

worst case - may have to do a fresh install. backing up onyx is pretty easy.

DaMegaPrinter

We just had this issue in our shop a couple months ago.
Called Onyx, received a quick phone call back after leaving a message, and they directed us to so the same Go to > General Settings Rips > and make sure RIPs used by the station don't exceed the amount of available RIPs on licence key.

If it's been opened elsewhere, it could be allocating a license key to that station, or if you have multiple printers running from the same station, make sure only the one you're actively using is on, it may be trying to give a key to a printer that's at idle.

We've since added more RIP stations, and had to have new license keys added to our Onyx account.
Now we have at least 1 extra available license key available, even if every one is in use, and this error hasn't stonewalled us since

KyleS_86

We just had this issue in our shop a couple months ago.
Called Onyx, received a quick phone call back after leaving a message, and they directed us to so the same Go to > General Settings Rips > and make sure RIPs used by the station don't exceed the amount of available RIPs on licence key.

If it's been opened elsewhere, it could be allocating a license key to that station, or if you have multiple printers running from the same station, make sure only the one you're actively using is on, it may be trying to give a key to a printer that's at idle.

We've since added more RIP stations, and had to have new license keys added to our Onyx account.
Now we have at least 1 extra available license key available, even if every one is in use, and this error hasn't stonewalled us since

Interesting, We have 2 available RIPs but we only have one printer and one Rip computer. The "Rips used by this station" setting was set to 2, maybe I should put that setting to 1 so that it would think I always have one free Rip available.
I will try it and see if that helps, and if not I guess I might try to give Onyx another call since it seems that they might have figured out their "staffing" issues with their Support team that they were having when they weren't very helpful last year.

Thank you for the info, hopefully that helps! Glad you were able to get your issues fixed too.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you do that you will cut your processing capability in half. I think you have an issue with having two RIP Stations opening on the same computer.

DaMegaPrinter

Interesting, We have 2 available RIPs but we only have one printer and one Rip computer. The "Rips used by this station" setting was set to 2, maybe I should put that setting to 1 so that it would think I always have one free Rip available.
I will try it and see if that helps, and if not I guess I might try to give Onyx another call since it seems that they might have figured out their "staffing" issues with their Support team that they were having when they weren't very helpful last year.

Thank you for the info, hopefully that helps! Glad you were able to get your issues fixed too.

Yes do that!
Extra is always better. You should only be using 1 key unless you're running multiple printers off the same RIP at the same time.

KyleS_86

If you do that you will cut your processing capability in half. I think you have an issue with having two RIP Stations opening on the same computer.
Well thats what I originally thought and why I never changed it from 2, but I guess I'm just not understanding how exactly they're being used... my understanding is that only 1 RIP is required for one printer, but have 2 would allow for faster processing of multiple files. But never thought there would be an issue with having 2 on one computer, since every shop I've worked at has had multiple printers running off of one computer...

DaMegaPrinter

It's not having m
Well thats what I originally thought and why I never changed it from 2, but I guess I'm just not understanding how exactly they're being used... my understanding is that only 1 RIP is required for one printer, but have 2 would allow for faster processing of multiple files. But never thought there would be an issue with having 2 on one computer, since every shop I've worked at has had multiple printers running off of one computer...

I've hardly noticed a slow down in performance since moving my station from 2 to 1. We've got the extra as I said tho when ripping jobs like the 1200sq/ft of wallpaper I'm running right now, I switched back to 2 keys. Not sure if it went faster or slower, cause I wansn't trying to rip this 3G file any more than I needed too.

Another thing is to make sure too that other people in the office who don't need to have the Onyx open, don't.

I had to go computer to computer in the office to find out who had Onyx open, and why they were using all our license keys. Turned out to be a salesperson who just opened up Onyx to see how a customers file looked and forgot to close it.

The more attention you pay to where your license keys are being used, the easier Onyx gets.

KyleS_86

It's not having m

I've hardly noticed a slow down in performance since moving my station from 2 to 1. We've got the extra as I said tho when ripping jobs like the 1200sq/ft of wallpaper I'm running right now, I switched back to 2 keys. Not sure if it went faster or slower, cause I wansn't trying to rip this 3G file any more than I needed too.

Another thing is to make sure too that other people in the office who don't need to have the Onyx open, don't.

I had to go computer to computer in the office to find out who had Onyx open, and why they were using all our license keys. Turned out to be a salesperson who just opened up Onyx to see how a customers file looked and forgot to close it.

The more attention you pay to where your license keys are being used, the easier Onyx gets.

Thanks, I do notice a slowdown when I open multiple files at the same time, but that is truly not a big issue to me. As for other people using Onyx in our shop, that makes perfect sense, but thats why its so frustrating because Onyx is only on the one computer. So other computers using the keys is definitely not a cause.

DaMegaPrinter

Thanks, I do notice a slowdown when I open multiple files at the same time, but that is truly not a big issue to me. As for other people using Onyx in our shop, that makes perfect sense, but thats why its so frustrating because Onyx is only on the one computer. So other computers using the keys is definitely not a cause.

Just food for thought.
I always have too many cooks trying to jump in my kitchen, so I'm constantly remotely connecting to other computers in the office and force closing Onyx on people who don't need it. It's a actually pretty fun.

Not that it should matter, but you can always update Onyx as well. Going to ver. 19 from 18 wasn't night and day, but it was for sure quicker.

KyleS_86

Just food for thought.
I always have too many cooks trying to jump in my kitchen, so I'm constantly remotely connecting to other computers in the office and force closing Onyx on people who don't need it. It's a actually pretty fun.

Not that it should matter, but you can always update Onyx as well. Going to ver. 19 from 18 wasn't night and day, but it was for sure quicker.

Gotcha, any advice is appreciated lol, and I used to do the same at one of my old shops haha.

In regards to updating Onyx, wouldn't you have to pay to update? When I tried talking to Onyx support before that was one of my questions to them, if there were any updates that I could download (since there is just a multiple page list), but they just left me in limbo via email and then when I called they never really gave me an answer except for buying their support subscription.