• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Onyx Thrive Very Slow to Print

ftohill

I am experiencing a problem with Onyx Thrive ripping for an Agfa Anapurna roll to roll printer.
We can wait up to four hours to rip a 50m banner. I have noticed that after the initial rip the print file is converted to RTL which ends up about 100Gb and this seems to be where the long conversion process begins. I was wondering if there was a way to speed the process up without having to drop to a lower res mode.

netsol

No one ever got in trouble by having too much memory. Double or tripple it, if possible
How big an hdd (ssd)? Howmuch free space
Have you cleared ALL your temps?
While printing <alt, ctl, del> Open task manager, look at all resources. Which one is close to 100%. ?

nicubila

BTW, we are trying to setup the anapurna mw with onyx (21) but we cannot get them work together. Do you need any extra software (I heard some use asanti which I cannot find anylonger) or works just put together?

FrankW

If the RTL-File is created, no further ripping happens. Looks like that there is a communication problem to your printer? Are your temporary files (rtl) are saved locally?

nicubila

Onyx says: error, the file cannot be printed directly. Use instead print to file.
Communication wise, we had the problem of getting the port right. IP was set OK (in the same class as the Windows PC), but the Onyx suggested port 9100 was jot working. I found on this forum the suggestion for port 5000 and it worked straight away: when testing in printer configuration, it is a green message that IP is working. So I don't think it is a communication problem (ping to the IP address works also).
Others said they still need a small software Agfarip2000 as they could not get Onyx talk directly to the printer. I cannot get that software, nor I can get Onyx talk to the printer (during installation I found the very specific printer model Agfa Anapurna mw).
I unless I find a way to talk to the printer directly I will have to drop Onyx and go for a Wasatch RIP which I understand works directly.
Before that of course any suggestion is welcome.
RIP files: they are created locally (they get green), but when trying to print I get the above message

FrankW

Some printers need special driver files, or have some printer frontend which will send the files Onyx generates and save. Not shure about your printer.

Could be that you will have the same problem with other RIPs too.

netsol

hopefully agfa has an advanced user forum, where you can post this & get an offer to share the special software needed, or get suggestions on how to modify settings regarding communication

AS A RULE, any time you change anything like port 9100 (industry standard for almost 30 years) you should ASSUME windows defender, windows firewall or your antivirus software firewall will treat your print job like a hostile invader and block communication

it is not uncommon to see mcaffee antivirus, for instance, todecide IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRINT JOB to "protect you". (we moved all our clients away from mcaffee in 1994 because of this issue and it still pops up, in various clients, to this day.)

i know it is a pain in the ass, but develop the habit of disabling firewall functions temporarily or (real PITA) add each port change to allowed functions/processes

it can be a real exercise in patience, good luck

nicubila

I am afraid there is no such agfa forum, or at least what I could find. Very little support in that sense.

Firewall is disabled, no Internet connection, no A/V (mcaffee has the anecdote of behaving itself like a virus) ports are cleared in windows.
Anapurna mw port is 5000 not 9100 (I don't know why but this is the one that works)

Still, it is a matter of onyx sending the file to printer but needing that intermediate rip from agfa. Which is not available, at least not in public domain.