• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx vs flexi for hp latex

ironchef

I want to know who here is using onyx or flexi on hp latex printers, particularly the 500 series. Why did you choose your rip and how do you like it so far? Also, scrolling down this rip section, I see alot of problems with onyx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

burgmurk

I came from the print industry, and as such had always used illustrator. Because of that flexi feels clunky and awful to me, so i'd never use it by choice. If you have experience with flexi (and you like it) it may be worth considering.
I've been using Onyx on 3 generations of HP Latex and there are a few idiosyncrasies with it, but nothing that isn't easily avoided with experience.
My favourite RIP software is Colorgate, and i would choose that over Onyx in a heartbeat, if it was available.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have used flexi almost since it's inception, i have used it with my HP latex 25500 for the last 5 years and have zero issues with it

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
get a 30 day working trial of each. then you can tell yourself what one you'd rather continue using.

kazziu

I came from the print industry, and as such had always used illustrator. Because of that flexi feels clunky and awful to me, so i'd never use it by choice. If you have experience with flexi (and you like it) it may be worth considering.
I've been using Onyx on 3 generations of HP Latex and there are a few idiosyncrasies with it, but nothing that isn't easily avoided with experience.
My favourite RIP software is Colorgate, and i would choose that over Onyx in a heartbeat, if it was available.

Please elaborate why You prefer Colorgate, i have recently bought a 360 latex and i have tested for three months several RIP softwares.... Onyx, Colorgate, Shiraz, i couldn't get caldera to work, and from my first tries
i would say that Onyx feels as its the most solid software, the WYSIWYG interface feels the most user friendly. Colorgate is by far the fastest but the layout tools seem clunky, with containers ect.
I went with Colorgate since i got the best deal on it(a fraction of the price of ONYX), and i was a bit sad that i had to choose the lesser software. But now You say that You would choose Colorgate over Onyx easily and i wonder what kind of advantages Colorgate has from an experienced user point of view??

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

I don't have an HP latex but I do use Flexi 12 and "clunky & awful" are definitely part of the feature set.
On the bright side, its always exciting trying to figure out what Flexi is planning next to liven up your workday.

wayne k
guam usa

ironchef

Decided on onyx, thanks guys. What's onyx poster shop for? And the other programs onyx offers

Peter Baker

I want to know who here is using onyx or flexi on hp latex printers, particularly the 500 series. Why did you choose your rip and how do you like it so far? Also, scrolling down this rip section, I see alot of problems with onyx

We use Flexi 12 for our HP Latex and are very happy with the result.
We used Caldera prior to that and could never get the color profiles as we would prefer

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We use Flexi 12 for our HP Latex and are very happy with the result.
We used Caldera prior to that and could never get the color profiles as we would prefer
You won get the colour profiles close as you want then if you just do a print read next method. It's an art form as I've learnt the hard way.

You can get ok profiles with onyx in the print read next method but it you know what you're doing, onyx can spit out some high quality profiles.

burgmurk

You say that You would choose Colorgate over Onyx easily and i wonder what kind of advantages Colorgate has from an experienced user point of view??

Sorry for not replying earlier.
Colorgates strength for me was it's fine tuning of colours. The jobs i've worked in using it required some very precise colour matching & manipulation, and colorgate had the most in-depth, reliable tools for this.
Onyx has many bugs and glitches and is lacking some of those "powerful" functions i used a lot in CG.
Also some pretty bad interface design. That said, I've been using it exclusively for the last few years and i'm quite used to the workarounds required, but colorgate felt like a more polished "finished" program. (it had it's fair share of silly glitches too, just nothing as maddening as onyx)

So I guess they're both good, with issues. For signage, onyx is fine, for high end art prints (which is what I used to do), i'd always choose CG.

timgo

Graphics Designer

Try a 30 day working trial of SignLab Print and Cut (www.cadlink.com) then you can tell yourself what one you'd rather continue using.

AF

Sorry for not replying earlier.
Colorgates strength for me was it's fine tuning of colours. The jobs i've worked in using it required some very precise colour matching & manipulation, and colorgate had the most in-depth, reliable tools for this.
Onyx has many bugs and glitches and is lacking some of those "powerful" functions i used a lot in CG.
Also some pretty bad interface design. That said, I've been using it exclusively for the last few years and i'm quite used to the workarounds required, but colorgate felt like a more polished "finished" program. (it had it's fair share of silly glitches too, just nothing as maddening as onyx)

So I guess they're both good, with issues. For signage, onyx is fine, for high end art prints (which is what I used to do), i'd always choose CG.

Our shop uses Colorgate. It is very good software and the company is responsive to bug reports and feature requests. They update the software several times a year and provide a comprehensive list of bug fixes, feature enhancements and improvements so you know what is going on. Rip speeds for single and multiple files are very fast. APPE gets updated to the newest version from Adobe every update.I find the interface to be the most logical of the rips I have used and tested. Contour cutting works flawlessly. PDF handling is exceptional, even multipage PDFs. Color profiling and linearization is perhaps best in class. To Colorgate's credit, they will remove a gimmicky feature that was added due to "flavor of the month" marketing from competing RIPs.

dypinc

I agree I have tried most of the RIPs over the years and my favorite is Colorgate, especially for control of color. With it's Color Atlas, setting up device color for the best Pantone Spot reproduction is very simple.