• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx vs Flexi

struthmuffin

I am sure this has been asked before, but whenever I search around all I find is promotional videos of one saying they are better than another. I thought I would ask specifically for our purposes...

We tried flexi in the beginning of this year and had quite a few issues with transparency etc. but I did like the software and found it better for cutting vinyl and print-cut jobs.

Onyx seems more stable and capable of handling pdfs properly. We haven't had flexi since the beginning of the year (we got our money back and stuck with onyx) currently running onyx 11, considering upgrading to 12 or giving flexi another go (mainly because of the cutting)

We do mostly signage and banners, with some cut vinyl and a little bit of print and cut. Hopefully grow the print cut and vinyl a bit more.

Anyone have any opinions they care to share with the current versions?

Thanks!
Cam

FrankW

Onyx is a RIP-Software only. Nobody I know uses it for vinyl cutting jobs. Flexi have a lot of interesting designing features for vinyl jobs.

Which version of Flexi do you have tested? Since 10.5, the RIP-Engine should handle transparencies without problems (when loading files directly into production manager), since 12 the Flexi-Editor too. Onyx on the other side has problems too with RIPping, for example if fonts used in a pdf are not correctly embedded.

Flexi Print & Cut is easier to use too and have a very nice feature for creating cut contours, but Onyx is better in automatisation for example with Summas OPOS Barcode functionality. But if you do not print & cut regularly complete rolls, it doesn't matter for you.

An important information would be what for a kind of printer do you have. Sometimes, some RIP-Softwares will work better with some kind of printers than others.

struthmuffin

Thanks Frank, the version of flexi we tested was v12.. I'm not sure if they release bug fix updates in between major releases. That would be interesting to know if they do?

We manage all files in prepress since we are a full commercial print shop and pass through a pdf with embedded fonts. We avoid flattening if possible which was where in our experience onyx has no issues but flexi seemed to.

We are running an hp latex 26500, and acquiring next week an hp Scitex fb500. For a cutter we have a summacut d120

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I use onyx thrive X12. Never used it for cutting. But i know you can add a cutter to it. What onyx are you running. poster shop? Thrive? ect

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have not used Onyx but did update from Flexi 8 to 12 and the production manager is a big disappointment.
Unstable and whoever redesigned the user interface needs to look into a new career in maybe front line fast food service....

wayne k
guam usa

TulsaScuba

I currently use both Flexi & Onyx 12. They both have their strong points and definite weaknesses. If you are doing mostly banners and limited print/cut I prefer Onyx. Onyx does have a cut server which is ok, but not stable for Onyx 12 (I currently have to copy my cut files from 12 to Onyx 11 cut server which is extra work). The profiles in Onyx seem to but down ink better in general. Flexi generally lays down a lot of ink from most of the profiles. Flexi does offer better creation options especially for creating cut files. Both Onyx and Flexi handle .pdf fine but can be awkward when dealing with multi-page .pdfs. It would be hard for me to pin down just one over the other as I do lots of banners as well as print/cut and straight cut files. To sum this up I guess, Flexi cuts with better stability and allows for actual file creation. Onyx does a better job of putting ink to media with great results in color. I honestly have not used the Onyx layout tool at all in my business as it seemed clumsy in comparison to how I can lay out my files in Flexi. Hope this helps some.

struthmuffin

Pauly: we are using production house v11

GAC05: hahah I completely agree. when we gave it a shot I though damn.. it looks like someone is stuck in windows xp! It looks terrible.

TubaScuba: I am somewhat in the same frame of mind.. both have their strengths... Id really like to run just one... the grouping of flexi was better.. and the program ran much quicker. One big feature if you run an older hp latex is that flexi will warm it up while you are prepping the job.. on the other hand it crashes more, and it actually locked up the hp latex a few times. Color we did not notice much difference on what we tested other than some transparency issues with flexi... I was hoping someone might be able to shed some other light on the situation..

all input is really valuable though. I appreciate it!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Onyx is a RIP-Software only. Nobody I know uses it for vinyl cutting jobs.

I use onyx thrive X12. Never used it for cutting. But i know you can add a cutter to it. What onyx are you running. poster shop? Thrive? ect

We use Onyx Thrive x10... we print & cut with it weekly. No issues whatsoever. It gets fed through a Roland VersaCamm and use the CutServer component of Onyx to send the jobs to the machine.
It still uses Roland compatible registration marks, so no issues there.
I find that Onyx can read files that Versaworks can't (ie. transparencies and gradients) and print them properly.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You should be able to download a full working trial of Thrive12. minus a few things. IICR you couldn't build icc profiles in the trial which was all i found.

http://www.onyxgfx.com/my-onyx/product-downloads/

Might be worth trying it out. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between thrive and production house is, But i believe thrive is their flagship software?

struthmuffin

You should be able to download a full working trial of Thrive12. minus a few things. IICR you couldn't build icc profiles in the trial which was all i found.

http://www.onyxgfx.com/my-onyx/product-downloads/

Might be worth trying it out. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between thrive and production house is, But i believe thrive is their flagship software?

Thrive I believe just adds workflow support? Kindof a job management system or an MIS I think?

FrankW

SAi publishes Service Packs with new drivers, new features and bugfixes often. Flexi 11 was published in 2012, up to 2015 when Flexi 12 was released there are 6 Service Packs available for Flexi 11, for free. There are updaters for Flexi 12 too until now. Only major upgrades are not free .. a difference to onyx.

Never had transparency issues with Flexi, and I'm an end-user supporter. Perhaps solvable problems.

Flexi have drivers for the FB500, but no profiles. Certified by HP are Onyx and Caldera. While prefering to use Flexi with the Latex, I drive our demonstration FB with Onyx only.

To avoid misunderstandings: I havent said that nobody uses Onyx for contour cutting ... i have meant vinyl cutting.

Why not using Onyx as a RIP and a regular FlexiSIGN without integrated RIP for designing and vinyl cutting? There is functionality for using Onyx as a RIP amd Flexi for contour cutting

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have not used Onyx but did update from Flexi 8 to 12 and the production manager is a big disappointment.
Unstable and whoever redesigned the user interface needs to look into a new career in maybe front line fast food service....

wayne k
guam usa

Flexi has always felt old and outdated to me when it comes to the UI. It's a shame because the engine behind the scenes has always run well for me. When I show new customers Flexi they always go, when was this software last updated? And I say, "This year believe it or not."

Correct Color

Thrive I believe just adds workflow support? Kindof a job management system or an MIS I think?

Thrive uses the Adobe PDF Print Engine. All the others (RIPCenter, PosterShop, ProductionHouse) use the Jaws RIP engine.

Other than that, the differences have to do with how they license printers, Job Editors and RIPs, and that Thrive is capable of running on multiple computers with one key.

(I'd also note that I'm not a huge APPE fan. What I do know for a fact is that profiles made in Jaws Onyx can port over to Thrive with no ill effects at all. So Thrive can't be creating dots that are different in any way. I've also for years asked clients to send me any file they had a RIPing issue with in Jaws that APPE might correct. As of yet, I haven't seen it.

Which is not to say that it doesn't exist. In fact if anyone here has a file they're having RIPing issues with with Jaws Onyx I'd be more than happy to test it.)

Overall, my experience has been that unless you need some specific capability Thrive has but any Jaws Onyx does not, either Onyx will do you basically the same job.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Flexi has always felt old and outdated to me when it comes to the UI. It's a shame because the engine behind the scenes has always run well for me. When I show new customers Flexi they always go, when was this software last updated? And I say, "This year believe it or not."

What seems outdated about it? Looks like most any other design program....a working area and a bunch of toolbars. Not sure what you could make feel 'current'.
You know you can change the UI of Flexi right? More specifically, the Workspace.