• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help onyx12 is there a way to use 4 colors only while ripping ?

Mohamed Soliman

Hi Guys

I use Onyx 12 for OKI Color Painter M-64S
6 colors CMYKLCLM
is there a way to use 4 colors only while ripping ?
i mean i will no use Lc and Lm

Untitled.jpg

netsol

someone said flexisign 21 allows the creation of custom ink sets.
but, i don't think what you have in mind is what they are doing.

if it was, many people would be doing this when 1 color goes bad on a dx5 or dx7, on machines that can't justify a $2000 printhead

are you thinking about printing in more than one mode? (turning lc & lm on and off, as you print, or simply eliminating

you pretty much need to have the inkset you desire in the firmware

netsol

what you want would be beyond your abilities or mine
i often wish we could simply "jailbreak" our printers, making customizations like they do with the iphones.

unclebun

No. There is not. If you had a printer with other colors like orange or red you can create a Quickset with those colors not included. But there is no option for not using the Lc and Lm.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
if it was, many people would be doing this when 1 color goes bad on a dx5 or dx7, on machines that can't justify a $2000 printhead
If you have a Mutoh ValueJet and are only using 4 colors, there is a mode that allows you to choose to print with only the A or the B channels which can help if you have one channel giving you problems. It's called Super Fine Wave A or B and it of course slows the print down a lot but it does achieve something similar to what you're describing.

danno

There is a way to use only CMYK in Onyx. It would require a custom profile build. Just curious on why you would only want the 4 colours?

netsol

If you have a Mutoh ValueJet and are only using 4 colors, there is a mode that allows you to choose to print with only the A or the B channels which can help if you have one channel giving you problems. It's called Super Fine Wave A or B and it of course slows the print down a lot but it does achieve something similar to what you're describing.
isn't that option choosing ONE HEAD on a 2 head machine? or is there also an option to one use one channel, as well? and wouldn't printing with one channel CMYK on a machine setup CMYKKYMC have to cut the print speed in half?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
isn't that option choosing ONE HEAD on a 2 head machine? or is there also an option to one use one channel, as well? and wouldn't printing with one channel CMYK on a machine setup CMYKKYMC have to cut the print speed in half?
On the 2 headed machines you can choose to print with one head but the Super Fine Wave A or B works with a single head. Basically there are 2 channels for each color and choosing A or B chooses which set of channels to print from. So it fires from 4 channels instead of all 8 which does cut the speed by about half. The passes are super small.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I have built profiles for customers with just 4 colors on this printer so they can save money on ink. It knocks square foot price down to 10 cents for ink.
Bruce

netsol

bruce, does that make sense? whether you are using 4 colors or 6, wouldn't you need the same volume of ink to achieve the same coverage? i wouldn't think running CMYKlclm would mean you use 50% more ink

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
In Onyx 12 when you build a profile using only CMYK, it still uses the Lc and Lm.
That is not correct. You do have to have the printer configuration set up for CMYK as well as 6,7,8, etc colors.
I have been profiling in Onyx since version 2.
I know exactly how it works.
I just did 2 customers who had bad heads, one was light cyan and one was light magenta and they didn't want to spend the money replacing heads on the old EFI and the old Agfa UV printers and the banding went away because the light colors are not being used.
The cost reduction happens when you are printing mid-tone and light colors.
It's not good for smaller items printed because it will be grainy since for lighter colors it will just make fewer drops of the CMYK heads.
This method is used primarily for large truck wraps, full walls, etc.

unclebun

I have been profiling in Onyx for 16 years. Perhaps the printers I have used have not offered a print mode that doesn't use Lc and Lm and Lk when ripping CMYK. But there has never been an option to not use the light versions of CMYK available.

If it's really avilable but not in an apparent place, perhaps it would be more useful to the OP to explain how to enable/disable those ink colors.