• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Opening the GERBER EDGE 1

petit

Edge-Classic.jpg
Hy everyone i'm coming here to get feedbacks on the GERBER EDGE 1. We recently got one cheaply with ribbons included and were already using a SUMMA DC4 SX so we are used on themal printer.
First of all i don't know if it will work not because it has been sat in a room for about 4 years unused but because it seems to have hours on the clock regarding the paint getting away when you touch it..
I'm suprised by the width of the ribbons understanding now the price so higher than the SUMMA's.
I havn't swich it on cause the cover seems to be locked and you can't open it, that is what i wanted to do to clean all dust out from the inside before lighting the beast.
I've been lokking everywhere to get it opened but nothing on the web also this one is so old..
Advises welcomed
cheers averyone

Jburns

Sounds like the latch is locked on the inside - it locks when it’s printing. Have you tried powering on?

petit

Sounds like the latch is locked on the inside - it locks when it’s printing. Have you tried powering on?
No i wanted to clean it inside out before powering it on but i'll give a try today, will give news on that.

petit

Powered on online displayed on screen but still locked. Need to unlock this latch so, from the inside, looked into manual but nothing on that

Last edited:

Jburns

Do you have a computer with software Gerber or flexi to try and send a job?
With no foil or vinyl loaded - it may unlock and five you an error
Also there is the hidden print test button - blank area on the keypad

petit

Do you have a computer with software Gerber or flexi to try and send a job?
With no foil or vinyl loaded - it may unlock and five you an error
Also there is the hidden print test button - blank area on the keypad

Have tried every hidden button pressing long and short pressure without any results, could only open and navigate the printer menu but i ddn't find any unlock latch action. about the computer did not took time to install all rip and cds driver, need to get an old computer for linking all this, would rather do a print test seeing it working before pulling it on the production way.

Last edited:

Gaugeco Inc.

The black knob unscrews. That will allow you to pull the cover off. You will need to remove the screws on the hinge but will pull right up after.

petit

I have unscrewed the black knob but that does not allow to open cover completely, only a quarter. The cover seems to knock from the inside opposite of the black button. I can't see where and what is spoting the opening of it. I do not see this hinge you are talking about.

Gaugeco Inc.

On the opposite side where it seems to get stuck force the entire top cover to that side and pull up. There is an alignment piece inside the cover that aligns with a shaft on the printer. When you push the cover to that side it will slide the pin out of the cover and will allow you to open it all the way.

petit

On the opposite side where it seems to get stuck force the entire top cover to that side and pull up. There is an alignment piece inside the cover that aligns with a shaft on the printer. When you push the cover to that side it will slide the pin out of the cover and will allow you to open it all the way.
Right you were i ve pulled harder firstly not especialy at the locked point so the plastic cover bent a little that made me stop but i ve tried another time preciasly where it seems locked and the cover all went up not easly i would say but it did. It's tricky when you are a begginer on these printers specialy there are old ones was afraid to break it all on the manipulation. I will now find a old Window XP to install the RIP ang give it a try. I don't know if it's going to print anything, i guess my biggest fear is dot missing with a damaged print head that will be frustrading i have so many ribbons included. I have 2 SUMMA DC4 one is an SX, i got them for nothing and use it printing chromed or gold color on colord vinyl to make advertised stickers. There is so much care to give on these ones specialy the dust problem, we have to take 10 minutes before every print to take care of dust, also room temperatures, cheking humidity etc...And would not be so painful to use if the printhead were not so expensives ! Ok then i'll give a try on the gerber with finger crossed.... THKS for the help