• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions needed printer under 25K

KR3signguy

I have a buddy who's looking to purchase a solvent or eco for under 25k.
He'd prefer a 64" if possible & will most likely want something that can be easy maintenance.
Rips & color management included???
Whats the best bang for the buck?
I'm looking for opinions.

MobileImpact

that's like asking Coke or Pepsi. Too many variables and too much of a personal choice.

For me it would be a Mimaki. In all fairness I also own a Mutoh. If I were buying a new printer today I would buy another Mimaki.

There is a lot of Roland love here. Personally I wouldn't buy one, but others love em.

Have him get to a trade show or dealer open house so he could see all of them in action, then he could make up his mind.

S

Sign-Man Signs

KR we use Mutoh. Have had real good results and inks are fairly cheap.

ChicagoGraphics

Mimaki has a new printer out it's the JV-33, it runs 3 different kinds of ink sets. In either solvent, eco-solvent or water based pigment inks. I think the price on the 64" printer only is
20k. But it has only one head, but has 180 nozzles for each colour, and it's a 4/colour printer, and I believe it comes with there rip.

Urban Image

The 64" ValueJet comes in at $20,995 and prints 720x720 dpi at 140 sfph. The Mimaki JV3 I used printed 720x720 dpi at about 80 sfph. I don't know about the JV-33. The Mutoh 64" ValueJet requires very little maintenance while Mimaki typically requires a good deal of maintenance. It comes with Flexi or Onyx rip, depending on your preference, and profiles are available for both. Take-up reel is included. Also, Mimaki bands like a mo-fo.

I'm biased but I'd say the Mutoh 64" is the best way to go. Or kick it up a few dollars and get the Spitfire. That is one bad mamba-jamba.

eforer

The 64" ValueJet comes in at $20,995 and prints 720x720 dpi at 140 sfph. The Mimaki JV3 I used printed 720x720 dpi at about 80 sfph. I don't know about the JV-33. The Mutoh 64" ValueJet requires very little maintenance while Mimaki typically requires a good deal of maintenance. It comes with Flexi or Onyx rip, depending on your preference, and profiles are available for both. Take-up reel is included. Also, Mimaki bands like a mo-fo.

I'm biased but I'd say the Mutoh 64" is the best way to go. Or kick it up a few dollars and get the Spitfire. That is one bad mamba-jamba.

Banding is operator error, not an issue with the printer. Mimaki's require more maintenance because they run much more aggressive solvent inks. The benefit there is the faster the solvent evaporates (ie the ink dries) the better it will stick to glossy uncoated media. The only maintenance really required is a daily cleaning.

I played with a Mutoh VJ for awhile, and I would still wholeheartedly suggest a Mimaki over it if you have the facility to properly ventilate the machine. The machine is practically the industry standard, the inks are super durable (even more so if you opt for triangle down the road) and the machine is built like a tank. Beyond that, because the whole ink system is suitable for harsh solvents, you can run a wide range of after market inks ranging from eco-sol esque, to very aggressive solvent inks.

The Mutoh is a good machine, but the Mimaki's build quality is in IMHO significantly better. I might consider the Mutoh ahead of the JV33 though as the whole 1 head deal is questionable. I would definitely go for the VJ over a Roland. I've never been super impressed by the Roland printers (particularly the versacamms), but many on here love them and make great prints and do wonderful work with them.

Also worth considering are the HP 9000s/Seiko Colorpainter (same machine, but HP bought Seiko's large format printing stuff). The HP oem inks cost an arm and a leg though and the quality while good does not justify the price. I think there are some good bulk ink options though, which would resolve that issue.

One last thing I should mention. If you call BullDog products who are the distributors of Triangle for the US, they can hook you up with a dealer that will sell you a new machine with a bulk system on it and warranty it. Converting to bulk ink voids the manufacturers warranty on any machine, but there are some triangle/mimaki dealers out there who stand behind the system and will match the Mimaki warranty with their own. For an extra 2k added to the cost of the printer, I think its well worth it. That said, also plan on investing on profiling hardware as there aren't nearly as many profiles (especially good one's) out there for the Triangle Ink set. If you opt for 6 color with wide gammut magentas, there are basically none. So budget that in. Honestly, you should make your own profiles anyways as no two machines are the same and I've really seen huge improvements since I started doing my own profiles. In regards to the triangle ink, its a win win IMO.

The triangle ink is really vastly superior to just about anything else out there in the solvent arena and its approximately half the cost of the OEM SS2 ink. It is more expensive than some of the other after market inks, but I think the quality justifies the cost. One thing to consider though is that it is more odoriferous so plan on even more ventilation.

mark in tx

Figure on spending another 1k-5k on getting the printer up and running.
Computer up to snuff?
Color profiling?
Media?
etc...
etc...
etc...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a client selling his Seiko 100S for $18k its up and running all good heads. Its the best price you will see I know that for sure. if your interested let me know

speedmedia

Hands down the new Epson GS6000. I have a Mimaki and love it but everyone that I have talked to with the new Epson is raving about it and the demo I went to with it blew my pants off!

Thanks,
Kurt