• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions on Canon Arizona printer

Does anybody have experience with the Canon Arizona flatbed printers? Mainly I am curious as to how well the braille and raised lettering for ADA signs hold up. Also, is it as fast as they claim? 4'x8' sheet in 2.5 hours for ADA signs.

johnnysigns

I don't know how the print process works on press in terms of the head height and things like that. That's something I couldn't find in any of the touchstone or tactile print videos that Canon's got online.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I don't know how the print process works on press in terms of the head height and things like that. That's something I couldn't find in any of the touchstone or tactile print videos that Canon's got online.
As far as I understand how the touchstone process works, it knows once it's built up enough ink and it adjusts the head height accordingly.

I don't think you are going to be able to print compliant ADA signs.
They seem to claim you can on their website and documents. I'd be really curious to hear if anyone is actually producing ADA compliant signs with one of these units. I'll be meeting with our Canon rep in the new year and I will ask.
If we could print ADA compliant signs in house it would be a real game changer, even if it's incredibly slow.

johnnysigns

When we were looking at Canon printers this was something we were interested in too for the display arm of our business, but in the end we went with a Vanguard press so we didn't explore any further.

edcooleyar

The touchstone process can layer up to 2mm of ink and varnish. Braille on ADA signs is less than 1mm so I suspect you would have no problem printing compliant signs.

Once layered and cured, it holds up well. We tried to pop them off with our fingernails and could not. With a screwdriver you probably could but hardly a concern in practice.

We don’t print them routinely, but we have a few we did during training.

As for as the time is concerned, their samples have the print time and ink usage so you could extrapolate a 4x8’ print time. If you do a lot, I would ask them to print a four inch sign repeated over 8’ width and time it.