• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Opinions on older Brother BES-1240 4 head embroidery machines

Tipgypsy

I know little about these older machines - Pretty old school and uses 3.5" floppys - Looks like a sturdy production workhorse. I need a 4 head but no budget for a newer one.
Are these still viable in 2022 - will they produce quality work ? Is there a company that makes upgrades for the old electronics/controllers. Many thanks.

Tipgypsy

Figured it out myself - for those that have the same questions in the future - You can get upgraded electronics for the old warhorses, meaning you can replace the old 3.5 floppy with a USB drive module. In the case of the Brother BES-1240, it runs on a computer with Win 2000 or XP & uses a serial port to connect - You can run these older versions on a new computer by using a free open source program called Virtual Box and then installing Win XP and load your Embroidery controller program on that. If you dont have the controller program you are out of luck unless you can find an old version somewhere.

Tipgypsy

Just a quick update on the old beast - Got it running on its OEM program and Interface card - ended up using a vintage computer and windows 2k . Works like a champ. Parts for these old machines are scarce.
Reciprocators and pretty much everything else are just not available anywhere. If something breaks it has to be fabricated or used parts sourced. Its do-able if your handy - I'd steer clear if your thinking of adding one to your shop. Ive learned alot about the machine and how to repair and adjust one - when funds are available Ill move up to a new old Tajima 4 head - Parts seem to be easier to source.
Have a great year !