• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OPOS cutting on the Summa DC5

asare

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to using the DC5. We are trying to print a large door panel, laminate it and then have the DC5 cut it out after.

So far our method has been:
1. Add red box far below image
2. Remove red ribbon
3. Print until the printer asks to insert red
4. Laminate while its fed out
5. Insert red and allow it to refeed and cut

Obviously this is not the ideal method, so I've been looking into OPOS cutting options on the DC5. From the documentation, it is unclear to me whether the DC5 can use OPOS marks to cut. I have tried following the tutorials for using Winplot with CorelDraw, but I am only able to use the "Send to cutter" option which simply cuts the shape regardless of position. When trying the "Send to OPOS cutter" option, the file is sent, the DC5's cutter moves across the bed and then the machine locks up, stating "Job in progress" until it is restarted.

Has anyone had any luck getting OPOS cutting to work on the DC5?
If not, any suggestions for alternative methods would be appreciated :)

I've attached a screenshot of my Winplot file.

Thanks!

6QMVIU4.png

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Unfortunately the answer to your question is there isn't a way to do OPOS cutting on your DC5. On some previous models like the DC4 you could use the machine to do cut only functions using Winplot(this was a while back now) but that was just cut only without any registration process. The sensor on the cutting head built into the machine is only intended to detect the optitrac marks(small rectangles printed on each edge of the media) and not the traditional Summa registration marks. Your best bet would be to get a separate cutter, maybe one of the SummaCut models if you don't want to spend a ton, and use that to do the contour cutting after you laminate your prints.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com