• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

optically clear lamination for window perf

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have a customer who is demanding lamination on his window perf. Anybody know of a good one that's a decent price?

signheremd

We use the Briteline WrapCast Optically Clear. It has a good price point. But note, no matter which brand you choose it needs some sun/heating and contracting before it looks fully applied. (In other words you will see your squeegee marks for a couple of days.)

ikarasu

If you have 8518 you can use that.. 3M considers it optically clear, and it's usually a bit cheaper than true optically clear

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If you have 8518 you can use that.. 3M considers it optically clear, and it's usually a bit cheaper than true optically clear
We consider 8518 optically clear, clear enough for window perf. I'll be using it tomorrow for a wrap I printed today. That said... It's currently our go -to for cast laminate, so we always have it on hand, and our local supplier stocks it.

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
8518 would be my pick too since we stock it and are getting it for a good price for it. We’ve also used ClearFocus Curvalam with good results.

Avery 1360z is least expensive optical clear cast laminate. I’m sorry 3M does notconsider 8518 optically clear. Data bulletin states it can be used on windows but that’s it. Whomever told you that ? Grimco ?

Avery 1360z is least expensive optical clear cast laminate. I’m sorry 3M does notconsider 8518 optically clear. Data bulletin states it can be used on windows but that’s it. Whomever told you that ? Grimco ?
1360z may be clear, but it has a definite color tint to it. Arlon 3200 is very nice.

Boudica

Who are you asking? It's been stated 3 times in this thread alone that 8518 is optically clear. Data sheets say... Whatever. Professionals use it, and it works fine.

Who are you asking? It's been stated 3 times in this thread alone that 8518 is optically clear. Data sheets say... Whatever. Professionals use it, and it works fine.
Um….. 3M , ask your 3M rep if you don’t believe me. I’m not saying you can’t use it. Put side by side with a true optical clear film and see for yourself.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer

I've never cared for laminate on window perf (actually, I hate window perf altogether). If the window is tinted, the likelihood of the vinyl curling and failing increases tenfold. With a laminate, failure for the window perf increases. The laminate traps heat from the sun, causing aging, shrinkage, and curling. Again, if the window is tinted, this makes this occur quicker.
Most windows I cover with perf are not tinted and unlaminated. The print will fade within a year, but it will likely stay on without any issue.

Boudica

Um….. 3M , ask your 3M rep if you don’t believe me. I’m not saying you can’t use it. Put side by side with a true optical clear film and see for yourself.
hahahahahha. I don't need to ask anyone. We use it all the time. It works great. We have window graphics on 1/3 of our storefront using window perf, laminated with 8518. You can see out the window.
Back to the OP inquiry... She's asking for a laminate for a vehicle back window on perforated vinyl. The ratio of the perf has WAY more to do with visibility than the laminate. We use 8518 on window perf all the time. It suits the purpose, and it's a quality laminate.

Now, there are certain situations where a window covering really requires true optically clear. Been there, done that. It turned out beautifully. I'm at home, or I'd dig up the pictures... Huge windows of the downtown library, facing the River... the graphics were under water life... but with true glass clear around the graphics. It was done with some expensive vinyl to print, and laminate with TRUE optically clear. This is not what the OP needs for a rear window graphic.

Oh... and I've always talked up glass apeel, because I love the stuff. It IS truly optically clear, no laminate needed. Just need the capabilities to print in layers with white. Different subject... I digress.

ikarasu

Our 3M Rep, actually. 8518 adhesive has a very, very slight yellow tinge to it, thats what prevents it from being "100% optically" clear - But it is still considered an "Optically clear", And is on the 3M MCS with their window perf as being approved to use.... and actually recommended to us over 8914 for window perf.

Laminate a piece of perf with 8518 - Then laminate a piece with 8508. Put it up on the window and watch what happens... The 8508 is blurry while the 8518 is perfectly clear. Laminate a piece with 8914 and 8518...and I bet you couldnt tell the 2 apart.

They may not officially call it an optically clear film, but it's specced to be used with their window perf....

It's also specced to be used with IJ8150, their optically clear printable media (Why put a non optically clear overlam on an optically clear media? That'd defeat the purpose)

So while they may not advertise it as Optically clear... They treat it as such, and for the purpose of using it on window perf... it works just as well as a "True" optically clear.

Not saying you're wrong, technically you're right, but in the OP's use case, it makes zero difference and still meets 3M's standards.

mkmie

Lost Soul
I didn't see where Geneva says it was for a vehicle application. If it is on a vehicle it must be laminated. We use Avery 1360 but have also used 8518 when we used 3M. Both are good. If it is a storefront the least expensive optically clear that I know of is Gen Form 105, about 40 cents a s/f but that is only for windows we know are going to change out in less than two years. We always laminate our perf because it makes removal that much easier down the road. Removing unlamed perf can go bad very quickly. Just my opinion.

mkmie

Lost Soul

I've never cared for laminate on window perf (actually, I hate window perf altogether). If the window is tinted, the likelihood of the vinyl curling and failing increases tenfold. With a laminate, failure for the window perf increases. The laminate traps heat from the sun, causing aging, shrinkage, and curling. Again, if the window is tinted, this makes this occur quicker.
Most windows I cover with perf are not tinted and unlaminated. The print will fade within a year, but it will likely stay on without any issue.
I haven't seen an untinted window in 20 years.

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
I haven't seen an untinted window in 20 years.
They’re mostly indoors

We only lam window perf if our customer is insistent or it’s on a vehicle. Our neighbor insisted on lam even though his window faces opposite of the afternoon sun. It’s Clear Focus Image Vue 65/35 with Curvalam and though it was streaky at first it’s been up several years now and still looks great.

We’re rocking our 8170 60/40 unlaminated facing straight into the afternoon sun, I guess in a few more years we’ll see whose looks better/comes off easier lol.