• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 3164 with 290 lam?

Bobas Kalobas

I am not trying to use cheap vinyl by no means. With that being said...I find that I mostly do end up using 3164 for small decals because it works great. Question is...Does anyone know, If I use 290 laminate on the 3164, Will it make my decals last many more years?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
The expansion and contraction rates between those materials are different and it will cause problems, and eventually the laminate will look wrinkled. Don't mix these two medias.

MHester

The expansion and contraction rates between those materials are different and it will cause problems, and eventually the laminate will look wrinkled. Don't mix these two medias.
How do you find out the contract and expansion rates on vinyls and lams? I dont necessarily see that on spec sheets. Do you just know from your wise experience??

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
How do you find out the contract and expansion rates on vinyls and lams? I dont necessarily see that on spec sheets. Do you just know from your wise experience??

It isn't wise experience, its generally making mistakes the first time. :) But the real answer is 290 is a cast laminate and 3164 is a calendered vinyl, and a cheap one at that. You usually don't want to mix cast and calendered, There are exceptions to the rule, 3551 is an example of one that can go both ways,

MHester

It isn't wise experience, its generally making mistakes the first time. :) But the real answer is 290 is a cast laminate and 3164 is a calendered vinyl, and a cheap one at that. You usually don't want to mix cast and calendered, There are exceptions to the rule, 3551 is an example of one that can go both ways,
Thaanks for your insight, this is helpful info for many.