• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 thick enough?

34Ford

I put some orange vinyl that came with my cutter on a black license plate and the black shows thru.
Cheap no name vinyl.

I dont have any orange 651 around and I wanted to ask if everyone feels it will be ok before I order some.

Thanks

Salmoneye

Just put a piece of red on some black coro for you and it doesn't seem to show through (at least in this light) I don't know if there is a vinyl that has more opacity. I will be curious to check back and see what others have to say.

Speedsterbeast

I just stuck a peice of 651 Pastel Orange on a magnet back (which is black) to check for you.
The orange darkened just a little bit compared to the piece I'm holding beside it sitll on the paper backing, but I think it would pass just fine.

34Ford

Yea, I hate to think I am going to have to use two layers.

Ok, I just took my calipers and measured some white Oracal and the orange I used and they both are the same thickness.

TwoNine

Are we really measuring the thicknesses or intermediate vinyls now to determine opacity? Sounds like a winner! Let me measure my yellow versus my black to see if the black is any thicker and thus harnessing more 'blocking power'????

(Hint: It already tells you how thick it is...Right on the box)

34Ford

The issue isn't the thickness of the vinyl....it's the opacity.

Yep, has to be. Well do the manufacturers say what is more opaque in their series?
I see thickness mentioned.

Suppose holding it up to a light would tell me the difference.

34Ford

Well even the 651 showed the black thru it, but it was better.

Funny thing I could hold the cheap stuff and the 651 upto a light and you couldn't see any difference.

But if you moved so you could see the bulb filaments thu the vinyl, the 651 blocked it better.

Since these are car tags it look fine out in the sun.