• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 751 removability on vehicle application

squaregoco

I’m new to the vehicle signage world. I have a client that wants his logo applied to his company van. He wants to trade the van in in about 18 months and wants to know if the vinyl will be removable without causing a lot of damage. I plan to use Oracal 751 in gloss white, black van in Texas. Looking for any experience you have had, should I use a different vinyl? Is black paint likely to fade in that timeframe (new van)?

Attachments

• AC9CB51C-08FC-44AC-AD79-368F69640765.jpeg
    AC9CB51C-08FC-44AC-AD79-368F69640765.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 324

brdesign

A little bit heat and it should just peel off. It may leave behind some adhesive which will come off with some adhesive remover. I doubt that 18 months would be long enough to create a ghost image from the paint fading around the graphic, but a light ghost image could be buffed out by a detailer, or body shop.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A little bit heat and it should just peel off. It may leave behind some adhesive which will come off with some adhesive remover. I doubt that 18 months would be long enough to create a ghost image from the paint fading around the graphic, but a light ghost image could be buffed out by a detailer, or body shop.
I disagree. 18 months is more than enough time to create a ghost image. Paint covered with vinyl weathers at a far different rate than the same paint open to the elements. You can see it on glass after just a few months and glass is a damn sight harder than paint.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I disagree. 18 months is more than enough time to create a ghost image. Paint covered with vinyl weathers at a far different rate than the same paint open to the elements. You can see it on glass after just a few months and glass is a damn sight harder than paint.
Ive never seen it with clearcoat but you can buff it if it happens which cuts that little layer off. The bad ghosting is on old single stage paint where the paint oxidizes everywhere except where the vinyl was. Cant do much for that.

truckgraphics

751 should be ok, but you might have to fight it a bit, because it's sticky and you might have to remove the adhesive left behind.

If you really want something that's easy to remove, cut your logo/lettering from Avery wrapping film. It's not super sticky (best not to apply small letters when the weather is cold), and it leaves almost no residue. It could ghost, but you can buff that out or use Ghost Off. A little pricy compared with 751, but it's air release so it will look great when you apply it.

tulsagraphics

751 is a cast film, and it uses permanent acrylic-based adhesive, just like the 651 series. Black painted surface = more heat = harder to remove. Yes, you can remove it with a heat gun, but you will have to fight it. Also, I'd be surprised if your customer comes back within 3 or 4 years for a removal, let alone 18 months. (customers can be a bit too ambitious for their own good sometimes, so try to plan for that). Make your job easier for when that customer decides he can get another 5 to 8 years out of it before bringing it back to you. The last thing you want to happen is to have that permanent adhesive bonded to the paint so well that it takes the paint with it at removal time.

SignosaurusRex

The 751 will remove very easily with only a little bit of heat. There will be a slight ghost image after 18 months, but it can easily be buffed out with 3M® 39061 Machine Polishing Compound.
In many cases a "Hand-Polish" or "Hand-Buff" with the 3M 39061 will do the job. Any residual adhesive left behind by the 751 can easily be removed with denatured alcohol.
The 651 will leave behind more adhesive than the 751 . . . and the 651 adhesive is a little more resistant to denatured alcohol. We use 751 almost exclusively for vehicles. Many of them get cycled out of service after 3-5 years and sold. We generally do the decal removal and post removal surface prep before the vehicles are sold. Probably close to 100 +/- per year.

Last edited:

decalman

Usually a ghost image will not appear on metal surfaces at 18 months. I've seen clean surfaces after 20 years... even in sunbelt Az.
I might want to use Oracle 631, removable vinyl. I've used it, and 2 years later, it hangs on nice. Easier off.

I’m new to the vehicle signage world. I have a client that wants his logo applied to his company van. He wants to trade the van in in about 18 months and wants to know if the vinyl will be removable without causing a lot of damage. I plan to use Oracal 751 in gloss white, black van in Texas. Looking for any experience you have had, should I use a different vinyl? Is black paint likely to fade in that timeframe (new van)?
Just about any vinyl not reflective or metallic will be removable "without causing a lot of damage" within 18 months if you know what you are doing. Let the customer know that Paint can be burned, scraped, scratched, melted, and scuffed. Panels can bow and dent, glass can crack, emblems can fall off and lens covers can be damaged. Not garage kept, 18 months In hot sun in Texas will cause noticeable ghosting on ALL horizontal surfaces, zero to mild ghosting on vertical surfaces. The type of vinyl will determine how costly it will be and if he may be able to perform the removal themselves. I always only recommend 3M 180mC Cast Sign Vinyl for optimum installation and removal as well as liability purposes. Anyone who recommends "comparable" substitutes is only ever saving money on the front end. There is no contest.

squaregoco

Just about any vinyl not reflective or metallic will be removable "without causing a lot of damage" within 18 months if you know what you are doing. Let the customer know that Paint can be burned, scraped, scratched, melted, and scuffed. Panels can bow and dent, glass can crack, emblems can fall off and lens covers can be damaged. Not garage kept, 18 months In hot sun in Texas will cause noticeable ghosting on ALL horizontal surfaces, zero to mild ghosting on vertical surfaces. The type of vinyl will determine how costly it will be and if he may be able to perform the removal themselves. I always only recommend 3M 180mC Cast Sign Vinyl for optimum installation and removal as well as liability purposes. Anyone who recommends "comparable" substitutes is only ever saving money on the front end. There is no contest.
I went with the 751 as I had already purchased it for the job. But I will look into the 3M you mentioned. Client wanted a quote for removal and I said $70hr, $100 minimum and that a buff out by a detailer may be required that I wouldn’t be liable for, will see if I regret that . Install went well tho.

Attachments

• 7B394FCF-8FDB-4B02-A949-FA0B107EF38C.jpeg
    7B394FCF-8FDB-4B02-A949-FA0B107EF38C.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 133
I went with the 751 as I had already purchased it for the job. But I will look into the 3M you mentioned. Client wanted a quote for removal and I said $70hr, $100 minimum and that a buff out by a detailer may be required that I wouldn’t be liable for, will see if I regret that . Install went well tho.
Nice job. Sharp van