• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 751

sghobbies

Has anyone had problems with 751 brilliant blue? I have 3 trucks that I striped about 2 years ago that look horrible. Talked with the vendor that I purchased from, said they would contact Oracal. That has been months ago and they really don't seem to care. I have spoken to Oracal who said they vinyl would be replaced, but that the vendor would have to call them. Vendor says they have, Oracal says they haven't. What a nightmare. Anyway, I've never seen this problem unless it was really old vinyl or really cheap vinyl. I know there could be some environmental factors or maintenance issues, but I honestly have never seen anything happen like this that left our shop. I re striped with 3M and hopefully won't see them back for the same problem. It's kinda tough to tell from the pic, but the blue is really washed out looking.

Attachments

• BrilliantBlueFailed.jpg
    BrilliantBlueFailed.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 101

drive

That's serious 'wear' for a 2 year old job. I can't say i've seen that happen to anything we've done with 751 vinyl. Not after 2 years at least. IMO don't think that oracal is as flexible as 3m, but DAMN!
Where is this vinyl located?

sghobbies

We are in South Georgia. The stripes run horizontal down the entire sides of the trucks. The vehicles belong to the county and are maintained pretty well. We special ordered that color for them, so luckily I know there aren't other projects of ours floating around with the same material.

Garbus

We used to do everything in Oracal 751 ... never seen that happen in a 2 yr period before...

now we use avery 700 series on most jobs... no problem there either...

do miss the adhesive on oracal though... but not my decision :(

visual800

as we have learned time and time again in the sign business...when we have a failure ina product it is all YOUR FAULT. Lets remember avery, one shot and now that cheap ass pvc product that warps after its been up a couple of months.

Im sick and tired of these companys not standing behind their products. Because of the cheap PVC i will not buy from our local source anymore

My suggestions talk to the distributor and DEMAND they take that crap back and post everywhere you can that oracal blue may be a failure. you can grab alot of attention on the web

Robert Boyd

In 2007 we used oracal 751 King Blue on several vehicles and several long term exterior signs. We had to redo 3 full size vans, a small pick up truck
and several other signs. We filed a a claim with Oracal through our distributor(it was only 2 vans at the time) We recieved a new roll of vinyl
and about $400 from Oracal. Each van lettering job was about $500 retail
plus the removal of the bad lettering. The 4 vehicles were all for one company. We had a falling out with this company because of this.
Our distributor took charge and got us the "refund". At the time we purchased most of our vinyl supplies from this one company so we were a good customer. I wish I had more detailed info but it has been a couple of years now.
We didn't relized back then that the 751 wasn't cast vinyl. We assumed it
was because of the high performance designation. Cast only for long term
is our policy.

klemgraphics

I use a ton of 751 and I haven't had any problems with it(that I know of). It's really making me nervous now though. How can they call it cast if it really isn't? I remember a oracal rep at a show telling me that the only difference between the 751 and the 951 was something with the plasticizers that made the 951 more flexible. Not sure what to think!

John Butto

cast?

In 2007 we used oracal 751 King Blue on several vehicles and several long term exterior signs. We had to redo 3 full size vans, a small pick up truck
and several other signs. We filed a a claim with Oracal through our distributor(it was only 2 vans at the time) We recieved a new roll of vinyl
and about $400 from Oracal. Each van lettering job was about $500 retail
plus the removal of the bad lettering. The 4 vehicles were all for one company. We had a falling out with this company because of this.
Our distributor took charge and got us the "refund". At the time we purchased most of our vinyl supplies from this one company so we were a good customer. I wish I had more detailed info but it has been a couple of years now.
We didn't relized back then that the 751 wasn't cast vinyl. We assumed it
was because of the high performance designation. Cast only for long term
is our policy.

http://oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=202
They call it high performance csat...

joeshaul

I've never heard of it not referred to as cast, I just recall the one color in particular being at fault.

Oracal does refer to 3551 as "high performance calendered", but I've never really seen them apply that term to 751.

When Oracal first made 751 it was marketed as a "high performance" vinyl. It was not cast. I do not recall the exact time frame but at some point they discontinued the calendarded 751 and came out with 851 cast. They later began producing 751 again but this time as a cast product and now the 851 has "morphed" into 951. The 751 currently is cast and we haven't seen any issues with the product. It should be noted that on Oracals color chart the 751-086 Briliant Blue is rated as a 4 year product.

Salmoneye

Ha! It's Karma for lettering a code enforcement vehicle. Actually this has me a little concerned as we have stuck a bunch of this.