• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

oracal 970RA

ucmj22

Gonna be wrapping the roof of a FJ Cruiser in matte black with oracal 970 RA. I've never used this vinyl before, anything I need to know? I have used 3M180, Arlon6000XRP & AveryMPI1005. is it similar to any of these as far as tac and positionability?

CheapVehicleWrap

It's quality a little more tacky but not a problem. 2 key things. a)Try no letting adhesive stick to adhesive (at all, especially for any time). Same goes with Adhesive/paint. Final wipe with a tack cloth just prior to laying panel. Use heat gun not torch on that too.

J

john1

I have used the 975 which is the carbon fiber version and man that stuff was hard as heck to remove. Both have permanent adhesive from what i have read. The 970 is permanent adhesive with removability up to a few years and the 975 doesn't mention removability.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As mentioned, avoid at all costs, letting it touch the paint where you do not want it. Pulling it back will often leave the adhesive ruining the peice. Also do NOT use any sort of primer with Oracal.

ucmj22

Thanks for the info. I'll do my best. I'm ordering 3yds, so i'll have a little room for error.

ucmj22

finished the job, and I must say, very impressed with the oracal970RA. it is tacky, but i had no problem popping it up when needed, and the air egress is probably the best ive used.

J

john1

Yeah but popping it up after it sits a while is another story. I'm telling you, It's a nightmare.

I had to use a heat gun for about 1 hour to remove a 6" square that was on a gas door lid (they wanted it carbon fiber looking). Been sitting about 6 months on the lid.