• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracle 651 and Outdoor Backlit Sign

missmkwhit

Hello,

I am looking at doing a an outdoor backlit sign for a small business. I know that there is specific vinyl, Translucent Backlit Sign Vinyl, for these signs. The business would like me to look at less expensive vinyl options. I am wondering, if anyone knows, would Oracle 651 permanent outdoor vinyl be a good alternative? I have done a lot of research and just can't find an answer. I would prefer to use something of higher quality if I am putting my name on this project. I have used 651 on outdoor wood signs, but this is going on plexiglass that will be lit up. Thank you so much for your time and any advice you can give me.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
SMH!!

Why in the world would you stake your reputation/business on “less expensive”!

Not to mention 651 is NOT a translucent vinyl.

Do a cost comparison of the “less expensive” option vs. the correct option. You will find the cost to be less than you think. Educate your client!

You could use Oracal 8500 series (translucent) if you are using an Oracal product.

visual800

oracal 651 is not good outside UNLESS short term. It is also not translucent. if they want cheaper alternative send them elsewhere. Qute them on good translucent material and then let them shop around

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use cast translucent film.
And polycarbonate not plexiglass.
If the customer want to save a couple bucks
Tell him to ….
Make scrambled eggs next Friday night instead of the nice family night out at a restaurant. He’ll break even cost wise, and have a long term proper sign face.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
If you are concerned with your reputation then go transluscent material. Its night and day difference. Pardon the pun. But 651 is very decent quality material for standard signs mnot backlit. There is quite a difference in cost yes but the reason for the lights is to show the public your store is here and is open so its a waste to use anything but the right stuff. One way to put it is to tell the customer this is a sign that will be in use for years so spreading the cost over that lifetime is a bargain.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you can't do it with the correct materials, make yourself a little sample board for you and your customers. Get a piece of 3/16" white acrylic about 24"× 60" and make 5 or 6 columns and put a few colors of translucent in one column, some 651 in another column, some cast in another and some digital prints in another showing 1, 2 and 3 pass solutions and hold it up to a light when someone needs convincing.

Transparent/translucent vinyls have that name for a reason vs cast and calendared vinyl are called opaque. Other than black, your theory..... or your customers dumb request, will never work

missmkwhit

SMH!!

Why in the world would you stake your reputation/business on “less expensive”!

Not to mention 651 is NOT a translucent vinyl.

Do a cost comparison of the “less expensive” option vs. the correct option. You will find the cost to be less than you think. Educate your client!

You could use Oracal 8500 series (translucent) if you are using an Oracal product.
Thank you for your response! I prefer to go with 3M than oracle.

missmkwhit

oracal 651 is not good outside UNLESS short term. It is also not translucent. if they want cheaper alternative send them elsewhere. Qute them on good translucent material and then let them shop around
Thank you for your response! I will pass this info on.

missmkwhit

Use cast translucent film.
And polycarbonate not plexiglass.
If the customer want to save a couple bucks
Tell him to ….
Make scrambled eggs next Friday night instead of the nice family night out at a restaurant. He’ll break even cost wise, and have a long term proper sign face.
Lol, I'll tell her to make those eggs! Thank you

missmkwhit

If you are concerned with your reputation then go transluscent material. Its night and day difference. Pardon the pun. But 651 is very decent quality material for standard signs mnot backlit. There is quite a difference in cost yes but the reason for the lights is to show the public your store is here and is open so its a waste to use anything but the right stuff. One way to put it is to tell the customer this is a sign that will be in use for years so spreading the cost over that lifetime is a bargain.
Thank you so much! Very helpful!

missmkwhit

If you can't do it with the correct materials, make yourself a little sample board for you and your customers. Get a piece of 3/16" white acrylic about 24"× 60" and make 5 or 6 columns and put a few colors of translucent in one column, some 651 in another column, some cast in another and some digital prints in another showing 1, 2 and 3 pass solutions and hold it up to a light when someone needs convincing.

Transparent/translucent vinyls have that name for a reason vs cast and calendared vinyl are called opaque. Other than black, your theory..... or your customers dumb request, will never work
Thank you for your response!

missmkwhit

Also, the sample board is a great idea.