• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Orajet 3850 translucent vs economy cal clear adhesive?

Rualsignmaker

Question for lighted signs....

Besides longevity, is there any difference between using vinyl made for digital printing lighted signs (like 3850) and a run-of-the-mill economy cal with clear adhesive?

Both are about 3.2 mil, both let light pass. So is the difference just longevity?

We use 3850 exclusively for our back-lit signs. Double strike on our Epson.
If your not using a vinyl that can stand up to the heat of a light box, and the environment... you'll get cracking. If you do use a clear vinyl, you should probably be doing color-white-color, but at that point I'd just use the Translucent vinyl and save on the white ink.
Don't try to use a regular non translucent calendered vinyl and light that up, we tried with a few different ones for giggles and they were blotchy and fuzzy when lit up. They looked terrible.

Cheezer

Don't use the clear, you'll be doing it over with a translucent after it fails. We have had good luck with Arlon 6500. They sell a 75' roll in addition to the 150' which costs a bit more per lineal foot but saves you from a big cash outlay if you don't do a lot of backlit. We have HP 560 and print with 20 pass. This gives a rich black and very little washout when lit.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm hopping onto this thread with an additional question...can you seam either of the vinyl's you listed?

I have a 10' round logo to put on a lighted sign. The current logo is being removed then I wanted to print one solid logo to put in it's place. I thought the Arlon 6500 might be a good match for this job? I have to think you will see the seam?

Cheezer

Yes, you will see the seam. We always try to adjust the placement to an area where it will be least conspicuous such as any white background areas or aligned with any straight lines within the design. I would use the Arlon if you are having a seam because it is a cast film and will shrink less than the Oracal which is calendared. We make our overlaps fairly small like 1/4" It is usually less noticeable than you think. Do not do your seam without an overlap though or it will shrink over time and reveal a white gap that will not look good. A vertical seam is preferred but if you choose horizontal in order to help hide the seam make sure the top tile overlaps the lower one.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, you will see the seam. We always try to adjust the placement to an area where it will be least conspicuous such as any white background areas or aligned with any straight lines within the design. I would use the Arlon if you are having a seam because it is a cast film and will shrink less than the Oracal which is calendared. We make our overlaps fairly small like 1/4" It is usually less noticeable than you think. Do not do your seam without an overlap though or it will shrink over time and reveal a white gap that will not look good. A vertical seam is preferred but if you choose horizontal in order to help hide the seam make sure the top tile overlaps the lower one.

Perfect! I added two white horizontal lines in the design for seams that extend almost to the end…it will work. I was hoping you would suggest making them white! Thank you for the quick response!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk