• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oralite 5650 RA vs 3M IJ680 R

2B

5650 RA is the only printed reflective we use

1669679327655.png

2B

thats what I thought but our suppliers said you didn't have to

Get a new supplier....................
Why risk / shorten the life of the most expensive material?

have them put in writing they will replace (labor and material ) any reflective vinyl that fails because of no lamination

Black Star

Not A New Member
5650 RA is the only printed reflective we use

View attachment 162767
I also used this material quite often. I've had some issues lifting on the top edges of this material. Have you seen that? I was thinking it could be water sitting on the top edge and then freezing. Laminating is a must! I use the 290 to laminate.

2B

I also used this material quite often. I've had some issues lifting on the top edges of this material. Have you seen that? I was thinking it could be water sitting on the top edge and then freezing. Laminating is a must! I use the 290 to laminate.

yes, this can be an issue especially if you put the vinyl edge on the edge of a vehicle body line.
There is one sheriff we work with, they DIY the installation, and constantly place the vinyl on body lines where the water runs, so putting the vinyl here creates a shelf where the water sits.
They also wash the vehicles in an automatic car wash.......

signheremd

We use 680CR and Oralite 5650 RA. Both are excellent. The 680CR is a touch better applying and sticking to compound curves (I say that as someone who like Orafol products better than 3M). Differences are small. On flat surface, no advantage to either. We have applied non-air release reflective on top of wrap vinyl and then applied to complex curves - that works very well and seems to adhere better than air release reflectives. One last comment, don't try wrapping reflective around door edges - it will tend to lift over time - better to trim flush or an 1/8th back from door edges. (Trim over every body panel change so as to avoid cracking when it tries to stretch and shrink as it will do in winter.)

thanks for all your input guys. we ended up going with the 5650 Ra and then we paired it with DOL1360oz laminate. Ive attached some photos of the end results.
Teck - HVC - Ambulance.jpg
Teck - HVC - Ambulance 2.jpg
Teck - HVC - Ambulance 3.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

Tony-A

Reflective Traffic Sign-Graffiti Overlay Expert
Consider trying the Nikkalite Reflective R8512 Fleet Marking Grade or R8512GI with "air egress" liner. Exceptionally priced and easily conforms over rivets and compound curves. I have found it to accept digital printing as well a anything on the market at an excellent price point.

ikarasu

Consider trying the Nikkalite Reflective R8512 Fleet Marking Grade or R8512GI with "air egress" liner. Exceptionally priced and easily conforms over rivets and compound curves. I have found it to accept digital printing as well a anything on the market at an excellent price point.
Nikkalite is good, we use tons of it. However I'd never use it on a vehicle wrap - it's non removable.... And if you ever need to do a repair, or remove it, it'll cost ten times as much as you saved by not using a removable vehicle grade vinyl.

We do 12" x 12" decals for one customer - it's small so he doesn't pay for the good stuff. I installed one crooked once... Took me an hour and a half to remove it vs the 30 seconds it'd have taken with 680. It comes off in the tiniest of pieces!

We use 680/780 for vehicle wraps, and then nikkalite for any at signage or small decals. I wish nikkalite had a removable, conformable reflective.

signheremd

We use Nikkalite 48000 white for street signs. Have to agree with ikarasu that it comes off in small pieces if you need to strip it. But you can apply it to a wrap vinyl before you cut it, like Arlon SLX or Briteline WrapCast, and it will give it conformability and easy removal. Never tried their R8512 series - our supplier does not carry that.

ikarasu

You can buy direct from nikkalite... I believe it's a $2000 minimum order, and you get it at like 75%, or even less the cost of other suppliers - Ours was half... We may get a bit steeper discount since we use 10-20 rolls a month, but you'll still probably save tons going direct.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You can buy direct from nikkalite... I believe it's a $2000 minimum order, and you get it at like 75%, or even less the cost of other suppliers - Ours was half... We may get a bit steeper discount since we use 10-20 rolls a month, but you'll still probably save tons going direct.
There's no minimum to buy direct, not sure on the discounts.
I thought every reflective was hard to remove?

ikarasu

680 is easy to remove. It may leave behind some glue if it's a year old, but you can spray some glue remover in it and hit wipes off.

We do full police car removals in under an hour when it's 680.

2000 was what we order minimum for free shipping... But I got it mixed. It used to be $500 but they upped it to $1000, probably because I'm in Canada. I know our local suppliers charge literally double as buying direct. We usually buy 10 30" rolls and 10 48" rolls at a time, so maybe we get a discount... Never price shopped it really because it's still way cheaper than 3m.