• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our new M

Donny7833

Just got our new M64 installed! This thing is a beast.

IMG_0171.JPG

2 used printers away from being an all Seiko shop.

MikeD

We just got one too. It's the fastest printer I've ever worked with, and the print quality is really good with CMYKLcLm+Gray.
What do you think about the take-up? The prints seem to telescope a lot on mine.

Donny7833

I just started running a production job on it, I'll keep an eye on the tunneling. I noticed there are no level adjusters on this takeup like on our W64. If there is a lot of tunneling, it'll be interesting figuring out how to fix it.

And yes, the speed will be nice. What took 6 hours to print on the W will take 2 hours to print on the M.

danno

We have had nothing but good luck with ours. Have ran them hard for 7 years. We are now trying to get time to go test the new M series.

Nishan

We have run 20 000 sqm in 4 months... so far absolutely no issues. As for the take up, u can set to tight or loose... we dont rewind using the tight option, it does not rewind 100% but we just take the roll out and just bump it standing upright to square it off.

Donny7833

The M is a completely different animal than the HP9000. Seiko (IMO), has the best solvent ink out there. True blacks, high pigment load, etc.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Take up spool on my M64 is perfect

We are running a 600 piece double sided banner order on our new Seiko M64. The take-up spool is absolutely flawless! For both the first and the second side with no wandering what soever. We are printing the first side 54"x115' on super smooth 15 ounce double sided blockout all in one shot. Than we flip the banner roll over and print 30' at a time to make sure they line up front to back. The machine is coming within 1/4" on length and perfect side to side.

I read the instructions (i dont usually do that) before we started the job. The user manual outlines a very easy procedure for loading the machine. It states to feed the materiel from the back of the machine to front with plenty hanging out past the platen. While sitting at the back of the machine place your hand squarely on the middle of the materiel and put some drag on it. Place your other hand on plastic take up knob on left side of the feed roll and roll it back a few rotations. Place the handle down at the back and your done. The machine will now run the materiel perfectly, straight thru the machine.

We have 6 full 115' rolls of 54" double sided materiel that are printed on both sides that look like they are wound from the factory. This is the best machine for double sided printing that we have used. By far.

Donny7833

I don't often do 2 sided banners, but nice to know there's no issues. Are you running your take up loose or tension? I've been running loose and do get a little travel left and right, but not horrible.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
We keep the tension tight. I have never tried it loose. If we feel there will be a problem with the ink drying before it hits the take-up spool we turn on a fan and let it blow from left to right across the printed vinyl. We always position the fan in front of the right side of the printer (where the head is parked) and point it away from the head.

MikeD

Seiko has instructed to loosely take-up vinyl prints, and use tension on heavier media only. The telescoping is more pronounced with narrow media such as 30". Seiko has special flanges to prevent telescoping at the rewind for some older models but not the M. Seiko wants you to use a core with a length greater than the width of your print substrate because they expect telescoping at the take-up. As stated above, telescoping can be corrected after removing the print from the take-up, and in my experience it doesn't affect printing at all. When I evaluated the M with Seiko personnel, I ran 150' continuously with zero deviation in the side margin- even though the media was very telescoped on the take-up.
The colors are great running CMYLcLmK+Gray!

I have noticed that the pinch wheels are leaving what look like to be cyan marks on the media. The M that ran at ISA last week had the cyan marks as well... techs haven't figured it out yet to my knowledge.

It's a great printer though!

Nishan

There is a new firmware... did not completely resolve the issue. For some reason there is an overspray happening on the cyan only. U might be seeing cyan on the front clear cover....
Also i assume u know that the tension lever has 2 positions.. first for lighter weight and second for heavier materials...

Seiko has instructed to loosely take-up vinyl prints, and use tension on heavier media only. The telescoping is more pronounced with narrow media such as 30". Seiko has special flanges to prevent telescoping at the rewind for some older models but not the M. Seiko wants you to use a core with a length greater than the width of your print substrate because they expect telescoping at the take-up. As stated above, telescoping can be corrected after removing the print from the take-up, and in my experience it doesn't affect printing at all. When I evaluated the M with Seiko personnel, I ran 150' continuously with zero deviation in the side margin- even though the media was very telescoped on the take-up.
The colors are great running CMYLcLmK+Gray!

I have noticed that the pinch wheels are leaving what look like to be cyan marks on the media. The M that ran at ISA last week had the cyan marks as well... techs haven't figured it out yet to my knowledge.

It's a great printer though!